Chapter 3

“I’ve inquired about a new book for you to do. It’s one of my favourites.” I turned to the class. It was a successful two weeks since Vern pointed out his idea but I had contacted Chris and he told me to think about it and get back to him. “And since next weekend is a long weekend I’ll be giving you one to read for leisure.” I looked at everyone, my eyes lingering on Antonia and Braden and they avoided my eyes.

    “Is it a sex book?” I frowned.

    “Literature is above just sex in books. Your extra reading assignment would be La Divina Commedia.” I watched their faces fill with confusion.

    “Are we supposed  to read the book in it’s native language?” I rose my eyebrows.

    “If you want to challenge me to interpretation then I have no problem. Dante’s Divine Comedy is a classic in Italian Literature and it opens the eyes to something else. Remember this is prose and not sentences.” I placed my hands on the table and pressed down. “Only read the first one and attach a summary of the interpretation of the prose, this will be collected and marked. You can read To Kill a Mockingbird for leisure.”

    “Aren’t you going to give us Shakespeare?” I stilled.

    “I don’t like Shakespeare and I found that Dante’s journey was more riveting.” I replied evenly and someone near the back stood. She had glasses on and was looking down at her phone.

“Uh, Miss, what’s your favourite quote?” I frowned.

“Why?” She looked down at the phone again before looking back up at me.

“Everyone who has an appreciation for Literature has a quote they fancy.” I hummed.

“When I was younger, my mother used to say ‘Those who do not fear death will die only once.’ I suppose because of my love for my mother it has become my favourite quote.” She looked down at the phone before looking back up.

“Is this your reason for choosing books with death?” I tilted my head.

“Has any one of you gone through extreme grief?” There were no hands in the air and I smiled. “I didn’t think so. Trust me, death takes from us all and if we can read death and not shake but understand, what do we have to fear. To Kill a Mockingbird is simply a well written book that I enjoyed.” I shrugged and stood straight. “Tell the person on the phone I expect a reason for him/her missing class. Class dismissed.” I watched as they grabbed their stuff and began filtering out of the class.

“Can I still ask for help?” I looked at Antonia and tilted my head.

“What’s the book you have in mind?”

“The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.” She blushed.

“Have you read To Kill a Mockingbird?” She blinked.

“Yes.” I hummed.

“Then read the book.”

“Will you help me with it?” I rose an eyebrow. There wasn’t much to the book that couldn’t be picked up with just a thorough read through.

“I suppose if it can’t be helped.” She smiled and I turned away and I pulled out my phone.

“Connie.” I cringed, I didn’t actually like the name.

“We’re going.” I heard a hum.

“As you wish.”