Chapter 9

"Babe, is that your mom?" asked Thana.

Nita was silently stunned as he looked directly at Thana until she nodded.

"Yes, she's my mom. I never thought that...she saw us right now."

"Nita, who is that man who kissed you?! Then, what is the meaning of this? Huh?! Why didn't you tell me that you do this in my sight?!" interrogated Pawana infuriatingly.

Pawana gets irritated and dismayed by what she has seen. Without hesitation, she immediately goes away from the two of them after ignoring Nita's call. Nita followed her mother as she was followed by Thana, too. She followed her mother's running steps but Pawana ran faster feeling discouraged and disappointed.

"Mom, let me explain—Mom!" cried Nita.

"Don't call me 'mother'!" angered Pawana.

"Mom, wait!!" added Nita.

The evening passed, and in the residence, Pawana and Nita had an intense confrontation.

"Mom, why are you running away from me even though I tried explaining to you about it?!" confronted Nita.

Until she gets slapped by her mother.

"You're lying! You lied! Why don't you even tell me that you're in a relationship with your new guy?! Huh?! I'd never know that someone gave you gifts and I newly realized...that it was your new man who gave you all instead of you being the one purchasing them! Don't you think I'll be happy about what you did, do you? Nita, you're the only person who will do everything for our family! But then, why did you do this, huh? Why?!" interrogated Pawana while pointing.

"Mom, let me explain the whole thing."

Pawana didn't listen to her while shaking her head.

"Mom, I know you won't heed me but please, lend me your eyes to enlighten—"

"Enough! Enough to pay attention to your words! What made you do this to me? Why?! You pledged to continue your education till you acquire a job and get out of this existence! You swore to me that once you finished, we'd be able to live freely because you had a job! Like I advised you not to establish a relationship and to concentrate solely on your studies?! But why have you done this to me? You should end your relationship with him since he is ineffective in your life! He's only destroying your heart and your future, child! I don't want you to be like your younger brother, who got married early and didn't provide us any money!" angered Pawana.

Nita gets irritated by her mother's harsh words.

"Maybe you're right, Mom...I guess you're right that he's attempting to damage my...my precious future, but you don't have the right to say anything to him. He's the one who mends and transforms my damaged heart following my breakup with Samut. I know you don't want me to get into a relationship and focus just on my studies, Mom, but I can manage myself by focusing solely on one thing in my life. We kept our connection a secret for a long time because I didn't want you to be upset! I've always kept my promises, but...I can't concentrate on just one thing. I just want to be free. I simply need someone in my life who encourages me from the bottom of my heart."

"So you put your trust in your man rather than your mother, huh?"

"Mom, it doesn't mean I looked down on your efforts; after all, I'm not a kid like what you treated before; you're just overprotecting me of my actions at times and don't give me much freedom besides making friends."

"If that's what you're arguing, then leave this house right now!" Pawana was enraged.

"Are you insane, Mom?" enraged Nita.

"Make no excuses because I no longer require you to breach my rules! That's more than enough for me! You've just broken the commitment I made to you! You'll pack your belongings and leave with your companions from now on! I simply do not require a daughter like you! You should leave my sight; otherwise, I'll be the one packing your belongings and throwing them away!"

"OK, fine! But take my word for it, Mom: if you kick me out of this house, you'll regret what you've done in the past, as Dad told me before," incensed Nita.

"...what did you say?" Pawana inquired.

"I suppose not to tell you but there's something you haven't told me in the past about your efforts to our family. Dad told me, before he left us, that you and Dad hadn't finished your studies and both of you were married secretly! And he told me that you used men to earn money. That's why you and Dad had arguments with each other. Is that what you call the 'perfect family'? You're calling a 'perfect mother' to us even though you used yourself to them?"

Pawana hits her daughter twice more to put an end to her daughter's harsh statements. Nita sobbed as tears streamed down her face. Pawana warns her not to dwell on her painful past because Nita is unaware of the truth. Furthermore, Nita leaves the house without bringing her belongings and does not return. That is why she opted to keep her mother's past out of her sight to feel her so-called "freedom."

"Nita! Nita, I'm sorry!" cried Pawana.

"Ni...ta..." she added sorrowfully.

The next morning, at Khon Kaen's local police station, Rasiya visited Samut and had a small conversation in the waiting room. Samut looked at his father enviously. He brought a lunchbox with food for his son.

"So, my son. How's your week here in the jail?" asked Rasiya.

"What for? Nothing's changed when you come here today. You just ruined my morning." replied Samut rudely.

"Well then, my son, if you think I'm the one ruining your morning, you'll suffer here once your committed crime gets worse. And you'll never see the girl you've wished for. So don't hope that you're getting out of here!"

Samut raised an eyebrow at Rasiya. He knows that he won't believe his father's swords. He vowed that he'd be out of jail without uttering his father.

"Anyway, I brought you a lunchbox with food for your lunch. So that your stomach will be filled without hunger. Eat some."

"No thanks." rejected Samut.

"Okay then. But I have to tell you something...something that you don't want to hear."

Rasiya disclosed to Samut that Nita and Thana had been dating for a few weeks. He also predicted that if Nita had children with Thana and they became a family, Samut would realize everything. As he becomes agitated, Samut becomes exasperated. Rasiya became terrified and abandoned his son after their chat.