Chapter 5: Cursimian Roulette (Part 3/5)

Mulai dari awal

          "How'd you learn to run so fast standing like a fence pole?!"

          Káel glanced at Sev to see who he was yelling at this time, freezing under his lazer beam stare as he yelled at him from the sidelines. 

          "You've got nobody on you, free up your partner!"

          He glanced at Jalev, trying to run around in short bursts to shake Buckethead. 

          Partner was a soft term.

          "Do something before I make it a hundred Aeric!"

          Káel raised his hand in surrender, his jog purposefully slow as he circled the chaos cluster to see where he could do something for Jalev. Buckethead was close enough to be making out with him, so he wasn't about to squeeze in the middle. Egging Buckethead in a game with physical contact definitely wasn't what he was aiming for either.

          Káel paused.

          Or was it?

          He continued to circle the scene, skimming the front line of audience seats where most of the Council members and guests had priority. As always, it looked like Mr. Greine was taking notes instead of enjoying the game.

          But if he played by the rules, what could the Council say? 

          He was behind them now. Jalev probably knew he was there, but Buckethead was invested in his sole purpose of ruining every shot Jalev had. 

          Ever so perfectly oblivious.

          A shocker chunk came close and Káel seized the opportunity, grabbing Buckethead from behind before he could cut off Jalev. He let him go as soon as Jalev got the shot off, skillfully bouncing it across the forcefield so it barely bounced into the yellow net. 

          With a smile Káel caught Buckethead's burning glare. And winked.

          There wasn't a point in fearing he'd try something on him, because he always had an elbow sticking out, or a sharp word whenever he passed in the halls. With the game's freedom on mild physical contact, Buckethead was bound to up his harassment somehow, but if Káel kept him distracted, then Jalev was free to score.

          And hopefully Sev counted assists.

          Káel hid a smile as Buckethead didn't split to shadow Jalev. The plan was an easy success, he just had to pretend he was irritated. A sharp sigh as Buckethead stole one of his shots was the start of the yarn ball

          He grunted as Buckethead bumped his shoulder, catching a smirk and trying not to smile himself. Buckethead was living for it, and Jalev was scoring.

          Káel kept the show going, trying at a few shots that Buckethead snatched away with gloating glee. But he caught a motion from Jalev across the field, the man hugging a pocket of air before striking his palm with his fist.

          Jalev really wanted to go with his plan.

          Káel gave him a nod, letting Buckethead fly right past him as Jalev shot a chunk at them. He grabbed him from behind just before he could snag the shot. But Buckethead had an extra head on his side, and Káel felt them both fall to the ground as the shocked chunk whizzed overhead. 

          Buckethead shook out of his hold with a taunting laugh. "Give me a break. You've gotta the saddest thing to come out of Fairez Stella."