Chapter 35 - Ba Sing Se

Walking into the monorail station Talia got out her passport as she would need it to get into the upper ring. The problem was she couldn't get an accurate passport, you know with her meant to be 51, and well still being 13. Katana managed to get her one, it wasn't accurate of course, it was under a fake name and a fake birthday but it did have her photo, without any tattoos that is. Talia was masquerading as a daughter of a southern water tribe ambassador, a family friend to Katara. Talia walked up to the desk adjusting her bandana that covered her forehead a little anxiously. It was this so she wouldn't need to light bend during the whole journey, as it was exhausting over extended periods of time. And also so she  wouldn't stand out when there was only one known air bending master, Tenzin, Talia's brother. A young girl walking around with the master tattoos would be a little strange and would probably attract unwanted attention. It was her turn at the stand, she gave the clerk her passport and the money needed to get the express line a little nervous to explain the reason for her visit, that she was visiting the avatar, in her party for the most part, and was visiting for master Katara and being she was in watertribe clothes and had a letter from Katara explaining what she was taking the trip was for her and that Talia knew the avatar and her party and what not. Though luckily she didn't have to explain too much and she was granted the ticket. The clerk also explained as she gave Talia the ticket that a Royal escort from the Palace one of the Queens attendants would guide her to where they and now Talia were staying. The dual bender sighed in relief it was not in her nature to be manipulative or a liar ... mostly, though it seemed to be coming more of a regular occurrence. Talia thanked her with a little head bow, and turned to get on the monorail. Showing the security officer the passport and ticket, she stepped on finding a seat and sitting down as the monorail departed. Talia relaxed in relief even more, the little air bender was on her way with no problems.

As the monorail moved towards the lower ring Talia realised that her dress was a little dirty and not particularly the best smelling. She didn't have many with bee and all of which she did have were already suitably worn on the longboat journey from the Southern Water tribe. So she decided that she would treat herself to new dress in the upper ring, a nice but practical one of earth Kingdom colours and style something new and that meant she would blend in and be a little bit more presentable upon the arrival.

~~~

The monorail journey highlighted the lower ring that continued to get worse and the upper ring that continued to reign above. At least they can talk about the outside world within the walls now and that the Dai Li aren't like they used to be and no one's getting brainwashed anymore like during the war. Talia reminisced on the last time she visited ba sing se, and how this trip wasn't quite like that. But still the fact that had even happened, that part of the city and the Dai Li's history is a bit freaky. As Talia remembered and thought, she wasn't sure whether to trust the Dai Li or not. She considered how she should but then remembered how the history was with her family and how it was a bit ... dodgy to say the least. Focusing back on the present she stood up as we approached the station exiting the monorail. She could see a well dressed woman, not like the rich folk, but in a similar style to what Talia recalled to believe it was one of the Queens attendants, as she walked towards the girl.

She looked down to Tali, being 13 and she was older and taller than Talia "Are you Keimmik?" She asked politely. Oh yeah that was the fake name used.

Talia smiled back and nodded. "I am" her tone soft and equally polite.

She nodded looking a bit relived she hadn't approached the wrong person "I will be your escort to where you will be staying" she informed me beginning to walk "If you have any questions, feel free to ask me" she informed me looking back with a smile.

Talia walked up besides her looking around as they walked, She then remembered. "Oh, would it be possible to stop somewhere I could buy a new dress?" The girl
asked her politely.

"Of course. Anything in particular? There are some wonderful boutiques along the way. Or we could divert to the shopping line, there are some marvellous boutiques there as well" the guide explained, she didn't actually introduce her name, how odd. "They have the clothes made from the finest silk, with intricate hand made designs and beading. Truly wonderful you'll find anything you need"

The airbenders eyes widened slightly. They sounded expensive "Oh well. I only need something simple. Is there anywhere that sells more casual day wear? Something with a taste of classic earth kingdom?" She asked rubbing my hands together holding my small bag, fiddling slightly, a small bit nervous at the idea of dresses so extravagant.

"Of course" she said simply in response with an almost relieved smile. Perhaps the shops were rather snobby? And she was glad to not have to experience another guest of the queen who was like that. "My favourite store is just around this corner. There are some great dresses that are practical too" she told Keimmik with a smile that seemed more true.

Walking around the corner she led her down a small side alley, though it was clean like the rest of the upper ring, well lit too. To a store that had simple yet still upper ring style, day dresses that were pretty but not excessively decorative. "Oh it's perfect!" Keimmik responsed with a wide smile.

Walking in the guide seemed very familiar with the shop and the store clerk, a cheerful girl who was very helpful and flamboyant. The two seemed to pass side glances to each other. They much be close friends. After shopping around the store and trying on a bunch of different dresses she found one she liked. And stepped out of the dressing room "what do you think?" Talia asked shyly. Her water tribe bandana still on.

"Give is a twirl!" The clerk asked. Talia happily obliged, albeit a bit shy.

"Hmmm, one minor issue" Her guide said, Talia turned to her her eyes wide concerned. She loooed down at the dress concerned worried what she did wrong. "Oh no no" the girl gave a soft chuckle. "It's your bandana. If you're going for  Earth kingdom, you need a head piece" she explained politely

"Oh" Talia replied with sheepish smile rubbing her neck.

The store clerk stood there for a second and turned going to the section and looking for a good headdress. She came back and handed Talia one. It had a green ribbon with w small gold yellow coloured square with the Earth kingdom symbol on the middle in green. It was simply but delicate. It was probably meant to be a bun wrap, but it could work in the same way as the bandana to hide her arrow.

Stepping back into the dressing room Talia swapped out her bandana and fastened the new headpiece on. She smiled in the mirror at the elegance but simplicity and practicality of it. Talia, Kimmik, stepped out of the room to show them the completed look with a bashful smile.

"Splendid!" The clerk said to her, and the guide nodded too. Talia smiled with a small bow to the two of them.

"It's marvellous. Thank you so much" she thanked sincerely. She grabbed her coin purse "Here." She hades the coins over "that should be enough to cover everything and a little extra for you two as thanks" she said honestly. She had money to spare and a tip felt justified. "Shall we?" asked the guide. She nodded and the woman lead the way out, and through the upper ring towards the house Avatar Korra and her party were staying.

The guide left Kimmik there, the group not being inside. So she decided to go for a walk around the area to get her bearings and to pass the time. She was sure the other would be back soon. It would be nice to catch up.