Chapter 37 - Dai Li Underground

There was a loud shout as someone neared the door, Talia's eyes opened at a tap on  her back and a gentle but nervous nudge. "Get up, quickly" someone whispered. She took a deep breath and regained the illusion, her mind preparing herself for the tiring day ahead no doubt. She turned and jumped off the bed landing lightly, she was an airbender after all. Talia gave the boy who woke me a gentle nod and smile, everyone seemed to gather, scared and nervous almost. The Dai Lee agent opened the door, not saying a word and stared at them all. He turned noiselessly and waited. Everyone began to filed out. Quickly following Talia slotted into the line. Eyes suspiciously around inspecting subtly, trying to keep with the group and unspoken rules. This place was impressive, a real underground fortress of prion army barracks.

They were taken down the maze of hallways until arriving at a large hall, it even had lighting, though they were from large green crystals in alcoves in the walls, rather than windows or sunlight. 

"Line up!" called a booming voice at the end of the hall, It was a senior Dai Li agent. What they were there for Talia was not sure. They all formed a line down one edge of the hall as instructed. She was suspicious of what they were here for, what they were intending to make them do. Some were a lot more nervous than others as Talia looked down the line. 

"You are the property of the Earth Kingdom" began the agent. "You will become the Earth Queens elite fighting force and protect her at all costs" Talia's eyes narrowed lightly as I looked at the crystal in front of me, this wasn't right, not at all "It is your duty to serve the Earth Queen", 'oh they better be prepared for when everyone finds us' she thought, she wondered how many times they had said this to everyone.

The agent informed them that they would be 'sparring', one opposite the other and blasting air at each other to dodge or redirect. Though she was sure they would prefer the latter. They were hardly teaching real airbending techniques, after all violence was never an answer. Talia breathed, stood in the middle of the line.  She couldn't show my true airbending  ability, not yet at least, and she may hurt the poor girl in front of her. Nodding at the girl with a reassuring smile, Talia let her go first.  Blasting her, she was off balance, had a closed awkward fist, wobbly stance and very unsure and nervous manner, it hardly reached across the hall. Talia gently threw a simple one back, with a subtle smile at her. This continued, as Talia tried to subtly show her how to properly stand and to copy the movements, but she couldn't show to much, or give it away under the scrutinising eyes of the Dai Lee agent. 

After a while of that the agent stopped them. A pile of stone tiles lined up in stacks at one end. This spelled trouble. We were all lined at along the opposite side. He started to bend two at us each, one after the other in succession. People's timings were off, or they got the first one and not the second. Talia lined up in a simple, stance and turned sideways to the first redirecting it to the side and the other downwards with a simple hand movement. She breathed deeply, controlling herself and wiping the little bit of sweat off from the constant concentration of her light bending, especially with little light around.  She looked down the line and watched some able to dodge more, or use air blasts better, one at the end seemed to be struggling really bad.  

Sending a small blast towards the disk, she disrupted it slightly as it went through the air, messing up its aero dynamics, subtly enough to, hopefully, not be noticed. Allowing the guy to side step it and blast it ever so slightly. It still hit him, but it didn't hurt as much. 

The agent narrowed his eyes suspiciously down the line, he must have seen it, when his eyes landed on Talia he paused. Before walking back to the stack and made them all do it one more time. After that more training exercised and skill tests. 

After a small lunch break they were sent back to the hall. More exercises, more drills, more rock throwing ensued. And carefully she attempted to help, and carefully attempted to blend in. They had been at it and other things for almost the entire day now, and she was tiring. The lack of natural light, and general dimness making lightbending difficult, more tiresome. Finally they were finally sent back to their cell for the night. 

~~~

Talia walked in with everyone else, thankfully it was dark so she let her illusion go once the doors were sealed shut and the Dai Li left. She proceeded to slump to the floor breathing heavy, wiping a bit of sweat away. Someone placed a hand on her shoulder, "a-are you okay?" he asked, it was Kai's friend. "The first day is always the worst" he said gently and sympathetically. 

Talia shook her head "I'm fine don't worry" she said not turning and keeping her head down, there was a sliver of light where they were. She took a deep breath and stood up, temporarily putting the illusion back up. She gave them a tired but reassuring smile. 

Whatever they were feeling they all needed the rest. So they all one by one made it to their bunks, fear of the Dai Li catching them talking or 'conspiring' high. 

So rolled over in her alcove Talia lay wondering what was to come. Her eyes closing she attempted to fall asleep. 

A/N 

Hey guys! sorry if you've already read it, i edited it slightly as i realised in my late night typing i messed up the timings. Woops! it's all been fixed now though.