Part 40 - The Breezies are in the Hold

Talia woke up with a headache, she went to take a deep breath but was stopped by a firm band across her chest causing her to cough. "Welcome back to the land of the living" a firm voice said to her side. Talia looked over with a start, she realised in slight panic that her hands and feet were fixed to the wall, and a firm band across her middle with rock keeping her in place upright against the wall, in that a panic she tried to break free of the rock only to wince at it didn't budget and put stress on her already battered body. "I wouldn't bother with that -" The Dai Li agent moved from the shadows of the corner "Kimmeik" he spat her name out, she was under the inkling he had a suspicion that wasn't her real name.

Talia narrowed her eyes "What -" she grunted as she tried to move again "do you want from me?" she said simply, short and to the point. Talia tried not to show her nervousness as she watched the Dai Li stand firm in front of her, another at what she assumed was the exit, a metal door, bolter around the edges, clearly multiple layers thick with a small slit.

"Now miss that's no way to talk to those who control your fate" the man spoke with a mocking tut tut at the end. "We only know of one Master airbender, and you are definitely not him" Talia's eyes widened and she went to reach for her forehead - but of course - rock cuffs. she grit her teeth and narrowed her eyes. The Dai Li got close to her face "So. who. are. you." he said up in her face.

Talia didn't budge, providing no answers, before she gasped turning her head away in pain as the stone tightened around her "You won't get away with this" she said through her teeth and pain.

"Answer me!" he shouted at her, throwing his hand next to her head and moving the rock. The stone around her continued to shrink. "What are you doing in Ba-Sing-Se?!". Talia squeaked as it the rock enclosed her. "What do you know?" he asked in a low and dangerous tone.

Talia opened one eye squinting as the tension let up slightly, "You kidnapped me, you tell me!" she said with a small cough in her words and a sniff clearly uncomfortable. "hugh - Maybe these are just fake like in the old days" she said with a smirk, referencing the beginnings of the air acolytes and the fan group, a smug look as she toyed with the agent. Talia wiggled her fingers in their rock cuffs, all she had to do was increase the pressure in the gap. It wouldn't be easy with so little movement and how little energy she had.

"Maybe you will be more talkative when i take your hand" the Dai Li agent spoke gruffly as he backed away. Talia's eyes widened, turning her head away she squeezed them shut as he raised a rock.

Until the door swung open with a harsh bang. "Sir!" A new agent said "Intruders in the cell block" he reported in standing to attention just outside, ready to move upon these intruders. "What do you want to do about the prisoner?" he asked looking over at Talia. Confident in her bindings the officer previously integrating her dropped the rock.

"Leave her, she can't escape anyways." He turned to the door harshly "this shouldn't take long" he commanded before slamming the door shut behind himself and the two agents.

Talia, head hung looking to the floor, was hope That had to be them, surly. She didn't dare say anything though, better not too, out of fear or desperation she hung there, trapped by rock on this wall as she tried to concentrate and pressurise the air in her cuff. Sweating she looked up as the Dai Li hurried out to deal with the intruders. "c'mon c'mon" she whispered desperate, sweat pooling down the side of her face. She could hear a ruckus outside down the hall. Looking between them, a small tear fell before she twitched her finger the other way, and boom she managed to burst that hands rock cuffs. The rock splintering apart, one hitting her in the cheek, her arm a bit scratched up now, her wrists scraped where she fought the cuffs previously. "yes" she said with immediate relief. Biting her lip Talia weighed her options, break her bindings or try break the door and let those intruders know she was here. Hopefully one was an earthbender.

Her arms heavy she used her free arm to swirl air under the rock, breathing as deep as she could with the bindings she swirled it to try pick up the rock. It wasn't strong enough though. She groaned trying again, a large scream of frustration she lobbed it at the door creating a loud bang and a light dent. Nothing in response, until she heard a shout "This way!" in the distance "Wait I heard something" another said.

Almost crying in relief she took in a breath and shouted, "In Here!!" using her airbending to project, before breaking down coughing at the restriction and pain in her ribs. "Help" she croaked out, with no response she sagged defeated. That was until the door slammed in and she looked up hopeful, a painful smile filling her face upon the sight before her "Bolin" she spluttered with a cough.

"Talia!" a worried cry called pushing through the two hurrying over. "Help me get her down" she called to Bolin before looking up at Talia worried.

"Jinora" Talia said relief dripping in her voice. "It's so good to see you" she said with a small laugh before wincing again. She really had to stop doing that. The rocks let her appendages go and then her chest one as Mako caught her to save her from falling. She let our an audible sigh of relief "Thanks".

"Who's Tali- Kimmeik?" a familiar voice spoke, cutting their question off, it was Kai, a raised eyebrow and a confused look "you - didn't have tattoos earlier" he stated almost like it was a conspiracy.

Talia laughed lightly, a very breathless laugh, before coughing holding her ribs as Mako set her down. "I'll explain later" she went to step away using Mako's shoulder as a hold for balance momentarily. "Let's get out of here" she held her rib with one arm and went to take a step but her legs gave out.

"Woah, easy there" Mako helped her up, "You're in no fit state to walk or do anything right now" as he picked her up.

Talia winced, she wanted to say she was fine, deny it like it was a falsity but she couldn't. Instead she nodded "Alright, yeah fine by me" she said meekly. Before they all started to get swiftly out of their underground prison.

~~~

As they approached the exit it was clear the Dai Li were outside. A bunch at that too. It looked like some of the scaffolding had been dislodged, perhaps a fight earlier? Talia winced as they ran, the bouncing, while Mako was doing a good job at carrying her steadily, was still present and jolting her injuries.

"Wait" she heard Jinora call out to them as they approached the exit. "If we run out of there as is we'll surely be ambushed there are so many of them".

"Yeah - but there's no other exit" booing said nervously, hand to his face, and rocking foot to foot. 

Talia hummed in agreement "I -" she paused thinking about it. She'd never tried to disguise a group of people, let alone her entire self either. "No that won't work" she muttered

"What is it?" Mako asked as he looked around the corner "we need to move fast the others are in the balloon" he said to them all

"I'll blind them" Talia said, her pain evident in the slight wobble of her voice. She knew she could do it, but whether she would he conscious after is another thing "we'll step out and I'll blast a bright light." She said with a solid nod. "You'll er need to close your eyes though when we run" she added with a small flinch, not in pain, but at the idea of running blind.

Kai shrugged "why not, what else we got" he smirked ready to step out.

Taking in a shaky breath Talia closed her eyes concentrating, pulling all her reserved energy as they started running. "Now!" Mako shouted they all closed their eyes as she let go with a shout a sphere of bright light in a big flash.

"Did - it" she blinked heavily, eyes fluttering as she struggled to stay conscious "work?"

She faintly heard a large shout from someone "we neeeed heeeelp!" But it sounded so far away.

A strong grip around her "stay with me Talia" a firm voice said, everything fuzzy and distant.

As they flew through the air onto Oogi, safely received onto the saddle thanks to Mako and Korra, she heads a familiar voice thick with shock and concern "Talia?", her brother.

"Hey Tenz-" she blacked out with a faint smile of relief, her eye brows creased as she was lowered to the floor of the saddle.