Horror Movie (MIKEY X Reader)

♂️ X gender neutral reader

Word Count: 1379

You were in the kitchen of the lair getting some microwave popcorn popped. Raph had declared a movie night since it was Friday, and you and April were spending the night. April, of course, was the first to suggest that you all watch the scariest horror movie of all time. Donnie and Leo both agreed, and although Raph was less excited about it, he was okay with watching a scary movie (so long as there were no stuffed bunnies in it).

Even Mikey seemed cool with it, which came as a total surprise to you. You had only known the turtles for a few months now, but Mikey didn't strike you as the type to watch horror movies. But what you didn't know was that the turtle in orange had a crush on you. And the last thing he wanted was to look like a scaredy cat in front of you. So he acted like watching a horror film was no big deal, but he was secretly very nervous to watch it that night.

When the popcorn was popped, you gathered the three bags you made and entered the living room. The lights were already out and April was skimming through all of the horor movies on Netflix to find the scariest. "Alright, that's one bag for April and Donnie," you spoke as you dished out a bag to April and Donnie, who sat on a couch together. Raph sat in a single-seater beside the bigger couch, where Leo and Mikey were sitting. "One for Leo and Raph," you handed Raph the second bag before wedging yourself into a spot on the couch between Mikey and Leo. "And one for us," you finished, giving Mikey a wide smile.

"Thanks, (Y/n)," Mikey replied sweetly.

A chorus of echoed 'thank you's came from everyone else. You took a deep breath as you got comfy on the couch. It was bigger than the one Donnie and April shared, but it wasn't built to seat a human teen and two broad-shouldered mutant turtles. No matter which way you sat, you would inevitably end up smooshed up against one of the turtles. So you decided that you'd rather be closer the the one you were sharing popcorn with anyways.

Mikey blushed lightly as he felt your shoulder press into his bicep, and your thigh fall in place against his. "Sorry about that," you apoligized sheepishly, "there isn't a lot of room."

"Oh, i-it's okay," Mikey muttered with a shy, nervous smile.

Your other leg fell against Leo's as you relaxed more into the couch. You watched April's twistedly excited grin as she finally chose a movie. "Oh man!" She exclaimed, "if this one doesn't scare you, nothing can!"

Mikey tried not to whimper at this as he thought to himself, just great. And then, the movie began. After just twenty minutes, Mikey's heart was already pounding. He munched on the popcorn with a shakey hand. And once everyone's popcorn was gone, he offered to take the bags to the trash in the kitchen, that way he could escape the horror movie even just for  bit.

Once he was in the kitchen, Mikey threw the empty bags out and paced slightly. He took in deep breaths in attempts to calm himself down, but this hardly worked. So he got himself a glass of water and drank it slowly, not in any rush to go back to the living room. But after a few minutes, he knew he had to go back.

You scooched over enough for Mikey to squeeze back into his seat on the couch. Once he was comfortable, you leaned back up agaisnt his side. And after a few moments, you hesitantly wrapped your arms around his bicep, hugging his arm to your chest and squishing your cheek into his shoulder.

This was enough to distract Mikey from the scary movie for a moment. He glanced down at you to find your eyes staring ahead at the TV screen. He smiled softly, his heart fluttering in his chest. But then, his mind was once again in panic mode as he could not ignore the terrifying sounds and images of the movie. It was going to be a long night.

• • •

After the movie ended, everyone began to split off to their rooms for the night. And you and April went to your shared room for when you slept over. By 1:00 am, everyone was sound asleep. Except for Mikey. He had tried everything from reading comics to listening to music, nothing could distract him enough to let him fall asleep peacefully. So he decided to try getting up and doing something.

Mikey quietly left his room and snuck down to the kitchen for a late night snack. But when he go there, he was surprised to find you leaning your elbows on the counter, head in you hands as if you were deep in thought. You didn't even seem to notice that someone else had entered the room.

Mikey cocked his head and spoke in a questioning tone, "..(Y/n)?"

You jumped violently at the sudden voice and whipped your head in his direction with wide eyes. When you saw that it was just Mikey, however, you sighed deeply in relief, "ahh..god.."

"Hey, it's just me, " Mikey reassured as he walked over to you. There was concern in his eyes as he asked, "you okay?"

"What? Oh, yeah, of course," you answered quickly. But your voice was unconvincing.

Mikey raised a brow bone at you and asked uncertainly, "are you sure about that?"

You sighed and gave up you act. "No," you mumbled, looking down in embarrassment. "It's just--that stupid movie," you whined, "I can't get it out of my head."

Mikey frowned and pulled you into a comforting hug. "It's okay," he cooed, then admitted his own truth, "it actually, uh..I was scared, too..." He could feel his cheeks blush over as he went on, "I guess I just wanted to look tougher than I am."

You furrowed your eyebrows up at Mikey as the hug ended. "Wha--for me?" You realized in disbelief.

Mikey averted his eyes and laughed nervously. "Yeah..I didn't want you to think I can't handle scary things."

You frowned a bit. "Mikey, you don't need to try to be someone you're not," you told him, "...I like you just the way you are."

Mikey blushed lightly and rubbed the back of his neck. "Heh, you do?" He asked with a shy smile.

"Oh come on, how could I not?" You laughed, taking a timid step closer to him. "You're the sweetest guy I've ever met," you insisted in a coo, putting a gentle hand on his shoulder.

Mikey smiled dreamily as he place his hand over yours. "So, you can't sleep either, huh?" He asked. When you nodded your head, he suggested, "then how about we stay up together? We can play games and watch NOT scary movies."

You gave Mikey a grateful smile. "Like I said," you sighed, "sweetest guy I know." Taking a leap of faith, you leaned up and gently kissed Mikey.

The orange turtle's heart just about exploded when he felt your lips grace his own. He shut his eyes immediately and kiss you back with just as much innocence. You smiled against his mouth when you felt his hands shyly rest on your sides. And after a few moments, you pulled away. "Come on, I know a good comedy we could watch," you chimed and began to walk out of the kitchen.

Mikey was frozen in place for a good ten seconds. When he finally came back to himself, Mikey stumbled after you out of the kitchen. "Hey, wait up!" He called after you, suggesting eagerly, "uh, we could do more of that, too!"

And so for the rest of the night, you and Mikey played games and watched light movies. And, as Mikey had hoped, you did do more of 'that'. By the time five am rolled around, you had both fallen asleep on the bigger couch in the living room, tangled in a quite ungraceful position. But neither of you had a single nightmare.