A New Age Pt. 1 (Donnie X Reader)

Based around the Wasteland Warrior spin off in Season 5 <3

-------

Word Count: 1119

You couldn't remember much as you woke up under a massive pile of rubble. All that was registering in your mind was the intense pain that shot through every inch of your body. You looked up to see small cracks of daylight peaking through the disaster of fallen buildings. You couldn't remember what had happened, but getting out of that crumbling prison was probably a good place to start.

So you moved your arms and reached upward. You weren't sure how, but you moved slabs of thick concrete away with ease. And before long, you were outside. You stood up, staggering a bit as you scanned your surroundings. The entire city of New York had fallen. The sky was painted gray with smoke, diluting the sun's shine as well.

Slowly, everything began to come back to you. You had been on a mission with the turtles. A mutagen bomb had been set by a few rogue Krang that still wanted to destroy humanity. And judging by the state of the city, you could easily guess that the five of you had failed.

Then, your heart dropped; where were the turtles? "D-Donnie!" You shouted in desperation, praying that your love had somehow made it, saved by fallen rubble as you were. "Leo! Raph!" You screamed out, beginning to rush in all different directions in search. "Mikey!"

You dug through rubble until you found a familiar manhole. Tearing the metal cover off and tossing it like a frisbee, you shimmied down the hole and began to race toward the lair. The sewers looked completely untouched by the bomb; perhaps the turtles had survived if they made it down in time. But when you reached the lair, it was empty.

"No..!" You breathed, hopelessness entering your heart as your legs weakenes and you fell to your knees. You'd lost your friends; your family. Only when you went to wipe the tears from your eyes did you make an alarming new discovery. The beautiful human skin you once had was replaced with pail green scales. You flinched away from your own hand before forcing yourself up off the ground.

You entered Donnie's lab and rushed over to the corner that was deemed your 'room' on nights you stayed over. Looking into your mirror, you gasped. Now you understood why you survived; you were mutated in the blast.

(Something like this ⇧ you can change your colors and whatnot if you want 🙂)

"O-oh my..." You stammered, voice quivering as your crying commenced. You sank down into you bed, hugging your scaley legs to your chest. You'd lost everything, even your own body. Or so you thought.

"(Y/n)?" You heard a voice suddenly speak your name, "is that you?"

Your heart began to race as you stood up and looked around. You knew that voice. "Donnie?!" You asked desperately.

"Over here, sweetheart," Donnie's cooed, sounding just as relieved as you not to be completely alone. "Just follow my voice."

You did as you were told and followed his voice. But when you found where the voice was coming from, your heart nearly stopped. It wasn't Donnie, per say, but an advanced 'mechanic Donnie' that he'd been working on for months. He had programmed it with a chip that would download his memories and experiences if he ever were to fall in battle.

The robot was in a sitting position on the floor. You knelt beside it and bowed your head as more tears began to flow from your eyes. "Donnie, if you're here, then--" you choked on a sob.

"I know, honey, I know," Donnie soothed, "my body...was destroyed in the blast.....but I'm still here."

You were a frustrating mix of overjoyed and extremely upset. Donnie had died. His personality and consciousness had survived, but he died. And just knowing that he would never fully live again was heart-breaking. Still, you were tough. So you sniffled one last time and looked up.

Noticing that Donnie's robot body wasn't moving at all, you asked, "is there something wrong with your controls?"

"No, I'm just trying to figure out how to get a hold of them," he replied, sounding slightly frustrated. "You wouldn't believe how hard it is to control a body that you weren't born into."

You smiled a bit sadly. "I can only imagine," you sighed. Then, you asked another question, "can you see?"

Donnie was silent for a moment. "Uh..sort of...my vision keeps glitching in and out," he answered. And then, his head turned toward you. "Ah hah! Got it," he rejoiced. You couldn't help but laugh lightly at his joy of being able to move his neck. "Woah, (Y/n)...you were hit with mutagen..." He realized, having seen a glimpse of you in his fazing vision.

You suddenly felt an overwhelming feeling of shyness. Would he still love you even though you looked so different? You didn't need to ask to find your answer; of course he would. If you could still love him as a robot, he could certainly still love you as a lizard mutant. "I'll manage," you told him, placing a hand over one of his metal hands.

Donnie crained his neck to look down at you hand. "....I wish I could actually feel that," he muttered sadly.

That statement sparked tears in your eyes once again. "Well, you're smart, D," you remained him, fighting to keep yourself together, "I'm sure we can figure out some way to give you the ability to feel touch again."

"You're probably right," Donnie responded, though he seemed uncertain. There was a long silent between the two of you before Donnie asked the hardest question yet. "..Where are the others?"

You frowned deeply and squeezed your eyes shut for a few seconds. "I don't know," you replied, not wanting to accept the fact that it was highly unlikely that they survived.

Thankfully, Donnie wasn't willing to accept this either. "Alright," he replied strongly, "well, as soon as I can figure out how to walk, we'll go looking for them, okay?"

You smiled. "Sounds like a plan to me, babe," you agreed.

And over the next few weeks, you helped get Donnie used to his robotic body. After three months, the two of you found Raph, alive and well, for the most part. Things were looking up. And even if it was only the three of you for the rest of your lives, you felt blessed to have Donnie and Raph back. Because in a new age full of rogue mutants and devastation, you couldn't imagine having to take that on alone.