High School (LEO X Reader)

Requested by: BlairMarker

AU where mutants/yokai live together without needing to hide. Also sorry if it's cheesey!

-------

♂️ X ♀️

Word Count: 1163

It had been over a decade since mutants  became accepted into human society. But even though laws had been created to make mutants and humans equals, there was still a lot of tension between the two very different races. A lot of the humans were over-proud, believing that they were above the yokai because they were the ones running the world. But you were not one of these humans.

You were a teenage girl in NYC. You could still remember the day mutants were allowed into public school. You were only six and in first grade, so it was more cool than weird to you. You grew up with this race, so for you they didn't deserve the harshness of the older generations.

Now you were in tenth grade at your locker, getting ready to walk to class with your two best friends, Leo and Donnie. Because you were so close with them, only you knew how they were secretly ninjas. But in school, they were just a class clown and a nerd.

"Hey (Y/n)," Leo greeted you smoothly, sliding up next to you to lean against the locker beside yours. "So get this, Donnie told me this crazy story this morning," he laughed, "apparently: we had a math worksheet."

You rolled your eyes. "Yeah," you replied, pausing to close your locker, "I know."

"Whaaa? That's so crazy!" Leo kept up his act and threw his arm lazily around your shoulders as the two of you began to walk to class. "You, uh, wouldn't happen to have a second copy...would you?"

You sighed and smiled in amusement, swiftly pulling out a blank copy of the worksheet. Leo gasped and grabbed the paper. "You are a lifesaver, (Y/n)," he rejoiced, "what would I do without you?"

"Probably fail," you replied with a laugh.

Just then, Donnie came up on your other side. Leo stuck his tongue out at him and waved the blank sheet around. Donnie sighed in annoyance. "You saved him a copy?" He asked you, sounding slightly disappointed.

"I always do," you replied with a shrug.

"In your face, D!" Leo shouted. He smacked the paper around in his brother's face, then bolted down the hall laughing.

"Urg, Leo!" Donnie growled before chasing after his brother.

You shook your head as you watched the class-deemed "disaster twins" plow through the school hallways. After all, they'd earned the name for a reason. You walked the rest of the way to class alone.

The rest of the day went along as usual. Leo scribbled down his math homework during english and turned it in just in the nick of time. Donnie got another perfect score of a test. And when classes ended for the day, the three of you left the school together. As you parted ways, Leo shouted to you, "hey, we'll see you at the game tonight?"

"Totally!" You shouted back. Leo shot you a subtle wink, causing you to blush as you made your way home. You and the blue turtle had been in a secret relationship for a few months now. Secret because, while mutants were finally accepted into society, human-mutant relationships still were a 'no-no'. Not that it was illegal for a human to fall in love with a mutant, but it was highly frowned upon by society.

But you didn't mind keeping it secret. The other turtles knew and had promised to keep it a secret for the two of you. And of course your only human friend, April, knew. Your parents had mentioned before that they didn't mind the merging of the two races in society, but then again having their daughter date one of them might've been a different story, so you didn't tell them either.

But you enjoyed the suspense of the secrecy. And one day, you hoped it wouldn't have to be secret any longer.

• • •

You walked back to the high school at 8:00 pm for the football game. Leo, Mikey, and Donnie were already up in the bleachers, watching Raph warm up with the rest of the team. As soon as Leo spotted you, he raced down to meet you. "Hey, babe," he greeted, his sweet nickname being hidden in the loudness of the event.

"Leo," you greeted with a sweet smile. He took you by the hand and began to pulled your through the crowds of students and parents. The two of you raced toward the empty school. During sporting events, the school was kept unlocked so that people could use the bathroom if necessary. But there were a few kids who just hung around in there for fun.

You an Leo always went into the library. Not because of the books, but because there were couches and giant beanbag chairs in there. The two of you pushed one big beanbag chair into a corner of the library and plopped down together. Leo immediately wrapped his arm around you lovingly while you rested your legs over top of his.

You sighed in contentment as you let your head fall against his chest. "Fridays are the best," you muttered.

"You're tellin' me," Leo agreeted, "get to stay out late, no homework, and I get to spend some quality time with my beautiful girlfriend."

You smiled shyly up at him. His face was so handsome up close. His eyes lidded in love as he placed his free hand under your chin. Then, he leaned down an gave you a soft, slow kiss. "I love you, baby," he cooed as he pulled away.

You blushed and gave him a wide smile. "I love you, too."

As the night went on, the two of you talked and joked. And when 11:00 rolled around, you snuck out of the library and the school. The game was over. Leo gave you one last, long kiss before bidding you farewell for the night. "Until next Friday, my love," he told you playfully with a dramatic bow.

You rolled your eyes at his theatrics, but smiled still. "I'll see you in class on Monday, babe," you told him. You were about to leave, but he caught you by the hand.

"Unless," he corrected, "you come over for pizza and a movie tomorrow night? It would have to be with everyone so dad doesn't get suspicious about us, but..."

You grinned. "I'd love to."

Leo returned your smile and finally let you go. "Come by around six," he suggested. And then you finally parted ways for the day. It always felt so intriguing, going home to parents who thought you'd just had a fun night out with April. They had absolutely no idea what your Friday nights really were. You slept well that night, knowing that you'd get to see Leo and the boys again the next day.