Nervous (Donnie X Reader)

Requestes by: Totally_Weird

-------

Word Count: 921

You had left for a family vacation a week ago. Being used to your daily visits, Donnie was quite beside himself without you around. His lab seemed to feel colder without you spinning in his chair and telling him all about your day as he worked. He missed hearing about all the crazy things that happened in your school. Or maybe he just missed hearing you talk.

It was no secret to his brothers that Donnie had a huge crush on you. It had been going on for months, and everyone was surprised that you hadn't picked up on it yet. But having so much time alone now, Donnie decided that as soon as you got back, he'd tell you his feelings straight up.

However, you would be back any day now, and he was growing more nervous by the hour. "What am I even supposed to say?!" He babbled to himself as he mixed chemicals in his lab. "I'll just walk right up to her--" he began, cutting himself off and shaking his head. "No, no, that's stupid. Maybe I could write her a note--"

Donnie had been so focused on thinking about you that he accidentally dripped a chemical into the wrong beaker. "No, no, no!" He shouted just before the liquid in the beaker exploded, sending glass flying in every direction. And by complete chance, and bad luck, a bit of that liquid landed right in the second beaker Donnie had set up. It, too, exploded with a cloud of red smoke.

"No, my experiments!" Donnie wailed. He hurried to grab a clean beaker, trying to scoop up any of the chemicals that he could salvage. He ended up with less that one fluid ounce of what seemed to be a perfect finished product.

Donnie sighed in relief as he set the beaker down and rubbed the sweat from his forehead. "That was close.." Yet just when he finally let his guard down, the shelf on the wall above his desk collapsed. It had been weakened by the previous explosions. "Oh, not again!" The beaker went flying across the lab before smashing on the ground with the biggest explosion yet.

Donnie coughed as he tried to fan the smoke away with his hand. And when it finally cleared, he could see none other than you standing in the entrance to his room. You gave Donnie a bizarre look and teased, "what a warm welcome."

"(Y-y/n)," Donnie stuttered in surprise, "you're back!"

You smiled and walked over to Donnie, hands clasped cutely behind your back. "I was gonna text you, but I figured a surprise would be more fun," you admitted with a small shrug.

But the closer you got to him, the purple turtle could feel something begin to vibrate in his chest. Oh no, not now, he thought to himself in a panic. But sure enough, before he could manage to get a grip, a soft purring noise began to sound from him. He stood with a bit of a slouch, eyes wide and lips pursed awkwardly.

Once you were just a couple of feet away from him, you cocked your head and wondered, "are you...purring?"

"I-it's called churring..actually...for turtles....." He mumbled in embarrassment.

You furrowed your eyebrows and gave him a sideways smile. "It kind of...adorable," you told him with a light laugh.

This statement only made his face grow redder. Heart thumping in his vibrating chest, Donnie readied himself to tell you his feelings. "L-listen, (Y/n), I..um..I wanted to tell you something...." He started nervously, averting his gaze as he spoke.

You smiled in amusement as you watched the cute turtle rub the back of his neck anxiously. "I..um...I wanted to say..." He failed yet again to finish his sentence. With a frustrated sigh, he began yet again. "(Y/n), I think you should know...." Another failed attempt.

Finally, you couldn't take watching him suffer any longer. You put a hand on his bicep, earning his attention back to your eyes. With a sly smile, you told him in a hushed voice, "Donnie, I know."

Donnie felt an immediate surge of emotion wash over him. "W-what? I mean, there's nothing to know--or, whatever you think is--I don't know what you're talking about!" He defended himself nervously, immediately wishing he never tried this.

"D," you laughed, shaking your head, "you are a terrible liar." You met his eyes again and took a step closer. "And you're even worse at trying to hide your feelings."

Donnie gulped audibly, frozen in place as if under a spell. He only moved when you grapped the top lip of his shell and yanked him down into a kiss. Fireworks exploded in his stomach as he closed his eyes instinctually. He wrapped his arms around your waist and pulled you up against his shell.

You could feel the vibrating in his chest grow as the kiss went on. And when you finally pulled away, Donnie was churring like a cat on catnip. "So...you knew the whole time, huh," he realized, with a nervous laugh.

"It was kind of impossible to miss," you told him. You then slipped your hand into his and walked him back over to his desk. "Now come on," you cooed, "I'll help you clean this mess up. Then I'll tell you all about vacation."

Donnie smiled warmly. It was good to have you back.