Chapter 14 - The Secrets We Share

Media: I Choose You - Andy Grammer

1 month later...

        Hazel eyes followed after a head of brown hair. Bliss.

        Carlen couldn't remember the last time he enjoyed his work this much. His eyes trailed to the toned muscles on the arms of his Royal Stranger. He startled as a grunt and thud rang out beside him. He gulped as he took a few steps away from the warrior that was training his strength with huge sacks of gravel. Right. This part, he still needed some getting used to. Warriors still intimidate him, a lot.

        Turning back to the object of his affection, Carlen grin as he saw Alaric shaking his head after attempting to cool himself with a scoop of cool water from the buckets a little far off away from the group. Here's his chance! Hurriedly, Carlen ran across the training grounds over to his mate and handed him a cloth that he had kept clean and ready.

        He stared affectionately up at Alaric who took the cloth from him appreciatively and chuckled, "Thanks." He reached out to ruffle Carlen's hair just as Lance walked up to them.

        Lance sighed loudly with his arms on his hips, his own head dripping with water, trickling down his very well toned and attractive half-undressed body. "You're my attendant Carlen." He huffed, narrowing his eyes at Alaric.

        Alaric scoffed as Carlen grinned and produced another clean cloth that he had with him.

        Lance laughed amusedly as he bent over and gestured for Carlen to wipe his head for him. Carlen glanced over at Alaric who had his eyebrows raised before stepping over to Lance and placing the cloth over his head. "Is the pressure alright sir?" He asks as he proceeded to dry Lance's head of hair.

        Lance moaned, "Mmm, feels great Carlen. Keep at it."

        "Lance." Alaric warned, his voice laced with irritation.

        Lance whipped his head up, eliciting a squeak from Carlen who jumped away to face his frustrated mate, the wet cloth still firmly grasped in his hands. "What is it?" Lance drawled,  "Your highness?" He mocked as he wrapped his arms around Carlen from behind.

        Carlen cleared his throat and squirmed in the very muscular and very naked torso that held him very tightly. "Lance." He squeaked, his eyes wide with panic as he saw the annoyed look that his mate had in his eyes. His mate was going to kill his warrior. And he was standing right between them.

        Carlen knew what Lance was trying to do. In the past month, the three of them had gotten close and Lance had developed a soft spot and affections for Carlen. He had started to push Alaric to tell the royal courts about Carlen. He wanted more for the pair. He didn't think it was fair to Carlen that they were sneaking around and that Alaric might still have to marry a queen. Lance hated that Carlen's existence in Alaric's life was hanging by a thread that could be cut off anytime by someone from the royal court.  

        Lance seemed to think that the royal courts would not be able to lay a hand on the crown prince's mate if the crown prince made it clear that Carlen was not to be harmed. But Alaric did not want to take the chance. The King was still very much alive and very much capable of hurting Carlen with his power. That, and the fact that Alaric knows that the royal court still undermines his power in the royal family. He would rather keep everything a secret and sneak around if it meant that he could still have Carlen alive and close. So Lance had begun taking things into his own hands, trying to push Alaric to see the benefits of coming clean to the royal court. For example, holding said crown prince's mate in his arms in public.