Chapter 3 - Just Alaric

Those green eyes that stared back at him were bright and hypnotizing. This man was not ordinary, but it wasn't because he was of royal blood. There was something else about him. Carlen couldn't put a finger on it, but he was painfully aware of how handsome this man was.

        This was not normal for Carlen. He reminded himself that he was a man too. A young man who might be still discovering his sexual desires, but another man was not it. Carlen was, kind of, sure of it. He was very much into girls, woman, their femininity-

        The older man's long and luscious lashes waved at him with each blink and Carlen pulled himself away from the Royal Stranger. They were physically too close to one another and it was making it hard for Carlen to form proper thoughts. All he could think of was how perfect this man's features were. Were all royals blessed with such sharp features?

        "Carlen?" The Royal Stranger's voice was deep and full as it vibrated throughout Carlen's body, sending a shiver down Carlen's spine. What was happening to him?

        Blinking a few times, Carlen gathered his nerves and responded the best he could, "Ye-Yes sir?" He tried to peel his eyes away from the Royal Stranger's green ones. But it only made him notice his structured face and wondering how it was possible for someone to have such deep collarbones.

        "Do you know who I am?" Royal Stranger asked.

        Carlen's eyes snapped right back up. He was going to say that he had an idea who he was, but all that he managed as a breathless, "No." Great, which member of the royal family would like to be insignificant and unknown to a commoner like him? That, and he had to really work on his fibbing skills.

        A low rumbling chuckle greeted Carlen's ears and it made him shiver once more, "No idea at all?"

        Was Royal Stranger not upset? Or was his laughter a coping mechanism before he decides to kill him? Carlen shook his head, it was strange. This Royal Stranger was unlike anything he imagined royalty to be. He expected an instant execution for having the gall to gawk at such an important person, or be yelled at and slapped around for his impertinence.

        Feeling a little more relaxed since Royal Stranger was smiling at him, Carlen felt braver than he had been minutes ago. Taking a breath and licking his lips, Carlen tried to engage in a proper conversation. It was only polite and he was trying to extend what ever time he had left on his life clock, "You're royalty."

        Royal Stranger raised a brow at him amusedly as thought Carlen was saying something really stupid.

        "Your eyes." Carlen rushed out before biting his lips again. How did Nana teach him to address someone of royal status? Did he have to end every sentence with, "Erm-Sir? Your highness?"

        Royal Stranger nodded, "That is our most distinct feature." He stood up, dusting his knees before turning towards the rock formation that Carlen had been sitting on earlier.

        "Are you heading back now?" Royal Stranger asked as he sat down on the rock. He smoothed out his pants with his hands and rested them on his knees.

        Carlen shrugged, was he supposed to be running along now? Or was he supposed to stay? He decided that truthfulness was a virtue. Also, he calculated that now that the Royal Stranger was seated, it would buy him some time to ran away if he needed to.

        "Nana- Healer Naomi is expecting me back by lunch time." Just to be careful, he added, "Sir. Erm, your majesty."

        "And if I asked you to stay, to accompany me this afternoon?" Royal Stranger asked, raising his eyebrows. Carlen wondered if the Royal Stranger knew he had such a habit to only express his emotions through his thick eyebrows.