Chapter 17 - Bittersweet

Media: Bittersweet - Ellie Goulding

Two months, that was how long the king had in him to hold on before the moon goddess finally took him. People mourned for him out of love and respect. He had taken great care of his kingdom during his reign. Yes, there were setbacks and dark times during his reign, but the King was meticulous and loved his people. He had brought them out of poverty and misery, gave his people means to survive on their own, and reduced crime rates in his kingdom to the best of his abilities. Yes, he was strict and ruthless to the people who took his laws and mercies for granted, but for those who simply wanted peace and stability, he gave them that. The majority of his people knew and could see that he was doing everything for their benefit.

In that two months, so much had changed around the castle. Alaric was never seen in public apart from addressing the people ever so often to quell the rumours and assure the people. Kept under a tight security watch, Carlen had not been with Alaric since they were officially mated. He could only glance upon Alaric's face like any other peasant in the kingdom, from a distance. But he wasn't complaining. He had missed Alaric immensely, but at the same time, he had never felt more complete or satiated. Carlen had been posted back to Nana's side to serve in the healing room since both Alaric and Lance could no longer leave the inner courts until everything settled down. Alaric also preferred this arrangement so that Carlen would not be swept up in the mess within the inner courts.

Nana had been very suspicious of Carlen's behaviour ever since the moment that he returned to his old quarters and began living there again. Carlen had a feeling Nana could guess that something drastic happened while he was gone, but he was thankful that she never asked. He wouldn't know how to give her an answer even if she did. For her safety, she should never know about their mating until Alaric abolishes that law.

Being stuck in the healing room bulk of his time, Carlen was grateful for the isolation since he could not risk anyone realizing that his scent had changed. That could bring on so many questions. The scent bags were his only armour now. And even with them hung around him at all times, Carlen knew that it just takes one stroke of bad luck and he could be exposed.

For the time being, no one should be able to detect the change in Alaric's scent either, since he had been made to wear an amulet that would completely erase his scent for his safety. No one else apart from Lance and the pair of mates knew that they had completed their Mating Ritual.

Carlen couldn't help but shudder at the memory of finding out when the King had passed. The moment the king had taken his last breath, everyone in the castle knew. Wailing could be heard throughout the castle, and there was a sudden bustle of workers who were busy preparing for the entire funeral possession and rituals. Even though they had been prepared for a long time now, nothing could really prepare anyone for the emotions that they would feel when the actual event happened. The castle was abnormally quiet even with all the busy workers moving frantically to get their duties done. Some of the castle staff could be seen shedding a tear or two for the King, others were just sombre as they went about their chores. Carlen could only imagine what Alaric was going through at that moment. All he wanted to do was to be there for his mate, but even something as simple as that, he had no power to do it.

Alone with his thoughts, Carlen wished Nana had taken him along into the inner courts as she tended to the King's funeral rites. As the head healer, Nana was also the person to provide the best care for the King as he passes and after he passes, she was also tasked to support the funeral rituals. She will likely be with Alaric and the rest of the royal family, and for one selfish moment, Carlen felt jealous of that.

Carlen recalled taking the risk of his lifetime and sneaking back into the inner courts to catch a glimpse of his mate when the announcement for the King's death was officially sounded. Because he had been seen in the inner courts before, the guards barely gave him two glances, but he still couldn't get close enough to Alaric from all the increased security. He could only glance at Alaric from afar, and even that broke his heart. His mate, his Royal Stranger, his precious Alaric looked tired and worned out even though he had been trying to put on a strong front. His eye bags were worse than Carlen remembered and he lost even more weight since the last time. Carlen could tell that the stress of his new role and the passing of his father was something that really took a toll on Alaric.