Chapter 33 - Prince Shayne

Media: Jensen Ackles as Prince Shayne Kalat

Carlen leaned against the window frame, staring down at the training grounds below. He had been moved away from the main wing as the main Royal couple were currently trying for an heir. Customs dictate that all consorts were distractions, and were to be removed from the vicinity of the couple until they could conceive an heir, or for at least a month, whichever came first. Of course, tradition also was concerned that the consorts would try to sabotage the coupling, so that meant that no one apart from the two individuals that were trying for a child be near one another. To be strict, Alaric was not even allowed to see Carlen, but he had fought for some leeway to visit him twice in the month so he could check up on Carlen as he was still not fully recovered. The rule was that they will not be able to spend too much time together and Alaric can never be allowed to spend the night.

The very idea that Alaric would be far away from him for a while made Carlen smile. But better than Alaric's forced absence in his life, was his physical closeness to the warrior's training grounds where Lance was working out at every single day. The luxury of seeing Lance whenever he popped his head out of his window made him giddy with joy. He had spent most of his hours now just staring out the window like a lovestruck maiden. Things were not only starting to look up for him, he was beginning to feel as though the moon goddess and his baby were beginning to forgive him, perhaps give him a second chance in life, in happiness. Perhaps. He would hope, even if he didn't deserve it.

Carlen shamelessly stared at Lance's body as the warrior lifted a sack of weights and ran across the training ground, shouting very manly, pumping a free fist in the air as the other warriors followed in his example. The warriors were currently in training to prepare for any need to send them out to assist in the war, or to defend their borders. The way the sweat on Lance's body rolled made the sun ray reflected off his body as though emphasising attention to every muscle on his body, making Carlen lick his lips nervously. Lance was very well built. Carlen bit his lips as he caught himself grinning.

Perhaps he could just take a short walk downstairs. Meet up with Lance, have a small chat while he takes a break from his work out. It would be good for Carlen's weak muscles to get some exercise too. Perhaps he could resume some of his attendant duties and attend to Lance bit by bit. The very idea of it gave Carlen strength.

Pushing himself off the bed slowly, Carlen tested out the strength in his legs gingerly. They felt good. Not as stiff as it had been the past few days. He had been pacing the room in order to get his strength back and that seemed to help. Nana had also put him on several strengthening potions, mostly for wounded warriors when they were recovering from critical wounds. The effects seemed to have kicked in sufficiently now.

Walking towards the door, Carlen startled a little when the door swung open before he could reach it. Flynn was standing outside, holding the door open with a raised brow, "Did you need something Carlen?"

Carlen nodded with an excited smile, "But first, I keep telling you to keep watch inside the room. Or arrange for a chaise outside so you could rest while on duty."

Flynn rolled his eyes, "I'm not sure you know the meaning of on duty, Carlen. It means I have to be vigilant. It also kind of means I don't get to rest."

Carlen rolled his eyes playfully back, "Take your pick. Chaise outside, or chaise inside." He lifted his brows.

Flynn shook his head, "Both seem like terrible ideas. The King would not like that, Carlen."

"I happen to have the authority to do whatever I want with my guard apparently. The Queen said so herself. I say chaise inside." Carlen smiled, "Now, could you walk with me downstairs? I think I need some air."