Chapter 1 - Carlen

Media: Josh Hutcherson as Carlen White

        Pushing past the wooden doors of the infirmary, soft yet practised hands reached towards the only pair of robes hanging by the door, flipping it once in the air before slipping them on. Carlen glanced towards his mentor whose greying blonde hair was pulled into a neat bun as usual. Her head dipped low towards something she was studying on the book table.

        "Nana?" Carlen called out softly so as not to startle the older woman, "I'm sorry I'm late." He apologized as he hurriedly fasten his robe on, moving towards her with haste. 

        The older woman waved him off without looking back, "That's okay child. I have nothing urgent for you today." Her hand returned to the book she was reading and began tracing something on the book.

        Ever the curious one, Carlen walked towards his mentor, careful to be as quiet as he could. Biting his lips and holding his breath, he tried to look over Nana's shoulder to see what she was so engrossed with. Before he could catch a single word apart from the drawing on the book that looked like a blood ritual of sorts, Nana had slammed the book shut and spun around so quickly that Carlen thought she might snap her elderly neck with that speed.

        "Carlen White! What have I told you about reading over my shoulder, child! I absolutely hate it! I taught you better than this!" Nana screeched, her hands at her hips immediately and her face flushed red in anger. Carlen gulped before taking a step back and hanging his head in shame. His mentor might be small in stature, but when she gets worked up, her temper rivalled that of the King's. Not that he has ever met the King, but rumours had painted a horrible reputation about his infamous short and hot temper.

        "I'm sorry, Nana." Carlen whispered under his breath. He could feel his mentor thinking about what punishments to give him for the day. Nana wasn't simply his mentor, she was also the person who found him dumped on a random step outside an inn and took him in under her wing ever since. She gave him his name, shared her family name, offered him a place to live, and a mother figure to love and respect. Carlen couldn't ask for more. He owed everything he is and has to the amazing and compassionate woman, Naomi White, Royal Healer. He hated disappointing her as much as she did.

        Carlen felt a stab of guilt when Nana sighed, making her look older and more haggard than she should. Carlen wondered what was so important about the document she was reading, was she even resting well? She looked much older than he remembered. 

        "Sorry child. I just- I have a lot on my mind. An important task has come up and it's taking all my years of experience and expertise, and I'm still stuck with no solution for the problem." Nana smoothed her already neat hair with her hands and looked at Carlen with a sorrowful and tired expression.

        A prick of concern stab through Carlen's mind. She would always forgo her health when it comes to work. Carlen breathed out tentatively, "Nana? If I could help in anyway-"

        Nana shook her head, fervently, "No child. You must not get involved. This is a very sensitive issue that involves the Royal Court. I will not have you meddle into this." Her gray eyes sparkled slightly and she gave a reproaching look, "I mean it child. Don't let me catch you for one moment pondering about this. Keep your curious little paws to yourself." She warned. 

        Carlen grinned and nodded, "I'll try my best, Nana." Cuddling up towards his mentor, he took a deep breath and for a moment, allowed himself to lean comfortably on his mother figure. She had been away into the inner castle to tend to the royalties and was only back late last night. He missed her. He had not much contact with anyone else in the castle apart from his Nana.

        "Try harder than your best Carlen." the healer said as she patted him on the cheek, "This is not a joking matter." She pressed a kiss on the top of his head.

        Carlen nodded into her shoulder, but his head was already thinking about the many possibilities of what his mentor was investigating. He couldn't help his curiosity. It must have something to do with blood rituals, and if it's so secretive and it involved the royals-

        Nana's crisp voice rang out right beside his ear, interrupting his thoughts, "Carlen White. Since there is nothing urgent for you today, it would do you some good to head out into the woods to pick some herbs. Get some sun, some exercise and stock up on some ingredients I need." She instructed before shrugging Carlen off her shoulder and walking towards the store.

        Carlen sighed as he watched her rummage through the junk in the store, before she emerged with a back basket and a shearing tool. "Nana~" Carlen started whining, he felt like a child when he did that but he hated going out into the hot sun to pick herbs. It was strenuous, and his efforts were always undermined when the herbs that were left unused were simply thrown out into the streets.

        "Don't you Nana me, child. I am getting too old to be out there doing these chores on my own." Nana said as she dusted off the back basket and started helping Carlen out of his healer robes. "You be a good son and helper to me, let me lead an easier life until I lie on my deathbed."

The mood in the room became sombre.

        Carlen frowned as he put on the back basket and sheath his shearing tool, "I don't like you talking about dying, Nana." He really didn't. He was selfish, he admit. If Nana were to pass away, he'd have no one. He needed Nana. She cannot die. Goddess, you cannot take her. 

        His mentor smiled, the wrinkles on her aged face fanning out, depicting the years of wisdom they held, "Silly boy. It happens to everyone. Us as well."

        Carlen winced a little at that. Us. Nana surely meant werewolves. He would like to forget that he was one. "I know that." Mentally, Carlen tried to count the number of days left till the next full moon. Three weeks, was it? He sighed, he hated the full moon. All their werewolf qualities and instincts are severely heightened on the night of the full moon and it made him feel uncomfortable, like he was simply borrowing his body. He had little to no control over what the pull of the moon does to his inner wolf. He wished he could just be a normal human being. He hated the control that the full moon had over him.

        Nana caressed the side of his face with a gentle touch, "Son, accept that it will be and live life to the fullest while you still can." Patting his cheek once, she chuckled, "Which starts, with gathering the herbs that I need. Go now child. Be back by lunch." She instructed firmly. 

  ∞

Thanks for reading this chapter! Tell me how you liked it!