Chapter 5 - Comfortable Silence

Carlen stared into the woods from where he sat, the tree trunks looked damp with moss clinging to it, the leaves on the tall and slim trees were a lush green; a sign that the woods were healthy. The sounds of the woods travel through his ears and he could feel it through his body, the many organisms that were surrounding them.

Alaric was still sitting on the rock beside him, they haven't been speaking for a while now. Strangely, Carlen thought he felt content and comfortable even though no words were exchanged. It felt like there was nothing else that was of importance, that the moment that they were in, just to experience it, was enough.

"What are you smiling at?" Alaric's voice jarred him out of his thoughts. Was he really smiling? He wasn't even aware that he had been smiling. How could he even give an explanation?

"I- don't know." Carlen started in a soft whisper, "I just feel at ease, I guess." He shrugged and turned to look at Alaric's chiseled face. He couldn't help but wonder yet again, if all royalty were blessed with such beautiful features.

Carlen had spent the past couple of hours with Alaric, breaking the uncomfortable and stranger-filled barrier that they had. They were not by any means best of friends yet, but they were something more than just mere strangers or acquaintances. At least, Carlen felt that way.

He had spent the entire time staring into Alaric's face, memorising every feature he could. He was no longer afraid of Alaric. The familiarity of this Royal Stranger was enough to put him at ease for now. The time that they had spent together, as short as it may have been, had helped him understand Alaric just a little more, and it was enough to tell him that Alaric was a good person at heart. Carlen had to remind himself that he must not judge Alaric based on his birth.

At this moment at least, Alaric was simply Alaric. He wasn't someone of royalty. It didn't even feel like Carlen had just met him hours ago. In fact, Carlen had never had the opportunity to speak with anyone other than Nana about anything at all. Nana had always kept him around the healing room and their quarters. It was never safe to wander around the castle grounds, she said. So this, was perhaps his first and only, friend.

"Me too." Alaric gave a sideway grin and look towards the sky. There was something about the way his eyes twinkled and his eyebrows furrowed that made Carlen feel an emotion he has never felt before. He couldn't explain the feeling, it was not that he felt sad, but he did feel at that instance that he might cry. "But as much as I am enjoying this, we should get going. Don't want to keep your Nana waiting any longer. You are incredibly late, if you remember."

With that reminder, Carlen sprung to his feet with wide eyes. He had completely forgotten about his promise to get back by lunch! Nana was sure to be worried sick! He was in so much trouble. For a moment, Carlen considered if he could use Alaric as a valid excuse to explain his tardiness. Surely Nana wouldn't punish him if she knew he was meeting with royalty? He shook his head. Alaric had reminded him countless times throughout their conversation that this meeting was to stay a secret.

Gathering the herbs that had fallen out of his basket when he fell to his knees earlier, Carlen hurriedly pulled on his back basket. "Nana's going to kill me." He muttered under his breath before turning towards Alaric with a deep sigh, "So I guess, this is- Goodbye?" Carlen waited with a bated breath for Alaric's answer, though he wasn't sure what he was expecting.

Alaric had a contemplative look on his face for a moment before he nodded.

Carlen couldn't help the pang of disappointment in his chest. He nodded back in acknowledgement. "Well then. It was great meeting you, Alaric. You were great company." Carlen tried to give a small smile, but found it would not reach his eyes. Who was he to express that he felt like it was a waste to never meet again, that he cherished this budding friendship, his first, and obviously now his last.