Chapter 24 - Their Revenge (Part I)

For almost week, Carlen and Lance were practically stuck together at the hip. Since his new posting four days ago, Lance had been hovering around Carlen in his newly appointed quarters, bordering on unhealthy the way he would obsess over everything Carlen did. He had dedicated all his time to simply watching Carlen like a hawk, even though Carlen had reminded him over and over again that he was a grown man, and with his pregnancy, he would take good care of himself now. Lance was not convinced though. Things could go wrong the moment he drops his guard. He knew this from experience guarding the King himself. Lance sighed at the thought of Alaric.

The day after the two men spoke, Alaric had sent a messenger to the training grounds with his edict. He announced that Lance were to be demoted to a mere guard for disrespecting the King. All the warriors present knew the kind of relationship that the two men had before, they also knew how easy Lance liked to run his mouth, how daring he was when it comes to speaking his mind. The news was surprisingly easy to swallow, but it hurt Lance's pride to know that Alaric would use such a weak excuse to get him to where he needed to be. But the matter of his pride was easily overcome when he reminded himself of the only task he needed to keep in mind: Carlen.

He needed to protect Carlen and his unborn baby. That was all that mattered.

Fiddling with the sharp knife that he confiscated from Carlen minutes ago, Lance noticed that Carlen seemed a lot more relaxed in the healing room than he had ever seen him in his warrior quarters in the inner courts. His body moved around the space in the working room gracefully, sometimes as though he could do it with his eyes closed. He would at times cradle his belly with one hand as he worked with the other, even though his belly was not showing at all.

Lance scrunched up his face as his senses was assaulted with a disgusting smell from where Carlen was bent over working, "Are you sure that rubbish is safe to inhale while you're pregnant?" Lance asked, frowning.

Carlen's eyes grew wide and hurriedly as he turned to Lance to glare at Lance, "Not so loud!" He hissed. Walls had ears, people talk. Even rumours become true when it gets repeated enough. He could not risk anyone finding out about his unborn baby.

Lance shrugged, trying his best to keep a grin off his face at Carlen's reaction. "Sorry." Not sorry.

Carlen frowned at him and turned back to his work, "It's under a list of things Nana said I could work on even with my- condition." Carlen licked his lips nervously, "I will be fine. It might smell a bit off, but this could save your life, if you ever had constipation." Carlen smiled cheekily at Lance while raising his brows.

Lance snorted as he threw his head back to rest on the back of the chair, "I never get constipation. My muscles are too strong. I just squeeze hard enough and-"

"Lance!"

"What! You started it!"

Carlen laughed, shaking his head as he reached for a couple of vials, labeling them properly to prepare them for bottling once the solution settles.

Silence passed between them as Carlen worked and Lance lounged about.

Carlen cleared his throat, "Lance?" He started softly, "How do I explain to my child that his or her father didn't want us?"

Lance sat up from his relaxed position, startled by the sudden question. He kept quiet, not knowing really what to say. He could set Carlen off into an unsteady mood if he said the wrong thing.

Carlen laughed bitterly at his silence, "Sorry. I know this isn't your problem to take on. I know."

"Carlen..." Lance began, still unsure about what what appropriate to say to reassure his friend.