Twenty-Nine

Percy

As Nico screeches out of the camp at probably unsafe speeds, I wonder how I was roped into this. Then I'm hungry. I look around for a mini fridge. Nico said there'd probably be one. I see it. I try to open it, but it's got a passcode. I glare at the goth kid in the rearview mirror. He smiles.

I sigh. "Do you happen to know the passcode to this?"

He continues smirking and says, "Look at the top of it, idiot."

I look. There's a bright blue stickynote on the top with the number 420666. I put the numbers into what looks like a bike lock on the fridge it opens. Alexander seems to be laughing, but he might be crying, I can't tell.

"Remind me why I'm not driving? You're literally fifteen," I tell him, looking at the selection of soda and chips in the refrigerator (who keeps chips in the fridge?)

"I have my learner's permit, and I don't trust you," Nico says.

I grab a blue coke (I don't even know anymore) from the mini fridge and close it, rolling my eyes. "If I were Alex, I'd trust me way more than you. You're too moody for my tastes."

"Is there a secret relationship going on between you two or something, or does Percy act this flirty toward everybody?" Alexander asks, confused.

"No and yes," I say, "But Nico did have a crush on me a couple years ago..."

"We don't speak of that, so shush," Nico says, playfully glaring at me.

"Yeah well, this is how Mr. di Angelo flirts with his boyfriend."

The smile drops off Nico's face and he goes quiet and speeds up. I don't know why, but this luxury car ride just got a lot more awkward.