Chapter Ninety-Nine: A Christmas Dance

"Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby- awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess

"Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby- awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess."

― Lemony Snicket

I was in a cute fluffy red dress that was long-sleeved and so short, I had to wear little black biker shorts, so I wouldn't flash anyone

My hair was in an elegant bun on the top of my head, and on my feet were a pair of matching red converse.

I was so not ready for heels yet.

I'd break my neck.

My wand was nestled in my sleeve, and I was going purse-less for the evening.

"Oh my gosh!" Abby squeaks, racing up to me in her beautiful black number.

"You look gorgeous!!" I tell her before she erupted with compliments on my dress.

Her hair was left down, but she had a ton of flowers in her floaty curls.

Her dress was long, black and simple. She was drawing more attention to her makeup and hair then her dress. She wore huge heels that sparkled with every step she took.

We walk downstairs, and I give her a warning look. "Slughorn will try to make you feel inferior, Abs. You mustn't get emotional over it." I muse, making her purse her lips.

"Yeah. Yeah. I know. But this Christmas party is supposed to be fun!! We have a Christmas break tomorrow. It's the last day we have with friends!" She beams, making me smile at her.

It was true. Greta, Gideon, and Claude were all invited directly to the Christmas party. Each of them brought one of our friends that weren't on Slughorn's list of invites.

Claude was taking Pan, Greta was attending with Chris, and Gideon was accompanying Myrtle. The last two couples were confusing to me since I knew Greta and Myrtle liked each other romantically.

We stroll into the Grand Hall, and we're instantly greeted by our friends.

"Val!! Darling!" Pandora's accent travels over to my ears, and I grin at my best friend.