Chapter Twenty-One: A Duel by Any Other Name

The trouble with a great sadness is that it doesn't fit inside your body

― Manuel Rival

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ariana kept following me.

Ariana kept following Tom.

I was highly concerned that the child took us on as parental figures because we'd saved her life.

"I am one second away from hexing the thing." Tom snarls, grabbing my arm to shove me to the side.

"She's a child! Don't you dare! I know how to chop off limbs. Don't make me chop yours off." I snap in a low hiss. Tom sneers at my words and points at the blonde girl who watched us, a loving look in her eyes.

She stood a few feet away, just staring at us.

"Tell me that isn't abnormal." Tom raises a hand to rub the space between his eyebrows.

"It is. You're right." I murmur and Tom nods almost frantically.

"Then let's just hex her and be done with it!" He hisses quietly, making me give him a look.

"No hexing," I warn and motion Ariana over with a warm smile.

"Sweetheart, come here," I call out, and her whole face brightens.

"So, I can throw you out of a window," Tom grumbles, and I shoot him a warning look, which he answers with a scathing one of his own.

Ariana skips up and grins up at us, innocence and love shining in her eyes. "Hi, mom! Hi, dad!" She squeals and my eyes widen in shock. I fall back, from the crouch I was sitting in and land on the floor in utter surprise.

"W-What?" I gape at the young child who had lunged to engulf me in a hug. She kissed my cheek and rushes over to Tom, hugging his legs, giggling.

Tom was frozen. I don't even think he was breathing

He wasn't moving, eyes not leaving the place where Ariana had announced us her parents just seconds before. A look of pure disgust wraps around his face, and he looks down slowly to stare at the girl grabbing at his legs.