Chapter Twenty-Five: Screaming Through Flames

We had no choice

We had no choice. Sadness was a dangerous as panthers and bears. the wilderness needs your whole attention.
― Laura Ingalls Wilder

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a two against one, and the odds were clearly in our favour. We were two exceedingly skilled students. We could take an old lady.

A roar could be heard in the next second.

Two huge panthers appear out of nowhere, rounding the corner and snarling at us.

My heart stops.

Okay, so the odds weren't really in our favour.

I look at Tom with fear in my eyes, and he shakes his head, giving me a look that said Keep it together, you fool.

He'd seen me camouflage our faces, but he knew our voices were not.

"Show yourselves!" Hepzibah demands. "Show yourselves, you COWARDS!!" She roars, making me eye her warily.

She was an obese old lady. She was huge, and I was incredibly bewildered at her quick movements. She wore an elegant ginger wig that looked utterly ridiculous. Her pink robes were hanging loosely, and I think I threw up a little in my mouth. "Good lord." Abaddon groans in my head. "She could cover herself a bit more." He sounded ready to hurl. Her breast peeked out of her robes, dangling loosely, hence showing her lack of knickers.

Tom looked traumatized. The poor lad looked at her repulsed.

"Attack them!" She orders her panthers and Tom looks at me, pointing at the panthers; Those two are mine. 

I nod and step up to meet Hepzibah in a duel. Abaddon comes forward, thankfully hidden by my black cloud of magic that hid my face.

"Hepzibah." Abaddon and I crone at her. Her eyes widen at Abaddon's harsh voice and from the corner of my eyes, I see Tom sending spell after spell at the panthers. They had some sort of enchantment on them that made anything Tom send their way go repelling off.