Sweet And Salty

He took a deep breath and gingerly twisted the handle on the hospital room door. He poked his head out, looking from side to side for any dangers or frights (for all he knew hospitals were terrifying) before walking out.

It was relatively empty except for a few people in the reception who were wearing bandages but with no serious injuries.

He himself was worse off: dozens of purple, black, blue and green bruises littered his pale skin. With every step or slight movement pain swept over his body. It was infuriating how he couldn't remember where they came from.

The oddest thing was, however, that all of these people seemed to know him and gave him big smiles and tried to pat him on the back. With wide eyes he ducked away from the crowd, his breathing getting wilder and almost unmanaged, and slipped into the office.

He was greeted by a startled lady who shakily asked him to sit and wait. A few seconds had passed before the doctor walked in holding a large woven basket. It was for him.

"From your admirers." he explained.

"My... What?" he asked with a confused tone.

"You will find out. Take these with you. I'm sure you will like them. It's mostly chocolates and cards."

He slowly took the basket into his own arms when the door burst open.

"Where is he? Is he okay? Carlos! Thank evil, you weren't in you room." he rushed out leaning forwards holding his chest.

"Umm... Harry right?" he guessed uncertainly.

"Yeah. And I see you've got your gifts there. Let me help you," he took the basket out of his arms which was quite heavy, "and off we go. Thanks doc." he ended quickly.

Thanking people would take some getting used to.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked when they pushed out through the glass doors. "You seem a little flushed."

Truth be told he wasn't okay, but he wasn't going to tell a complete stranger that. Well, almost complete stranger. Harry said they knew each other and were friends, but Carlos had a nagging feeling that wasn't true.

"I'm okay now but the crowds of people were too much, I thought they were attacking me."

"Well that's a natural reaction after everything. But come on, onto better things, we're going to the Enchanted Lake to meet everyone."

"Everyone?"

"Yeah remember the names I told you earlier..." he trailed off seeing Carlos' blank face. He'd already forgotten.

But he felt happy that his name was the one he remembered.

"Well it's time to meet your friends. They're, different, but we all are so you'll be fine. I haven't seen the Lake either so it's a new adventure for both of us. Chocolate?" he offered trying to lighten the mood.

Carlos stopped in his tracks. A weird image floated in his head. It was him and a boy? They were in, a car, maybe, and there were bright colours everywhere. Salty and sweet filled his senses and he tried to grasp onto this boy, who was he? He could vision yellows and browns and reds. He tried to grasp onto the memory...

"Pup. Carlos. Hey." Harry's hand waved in front of his face. "You alright?" he asked once again.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm, I'm okay. Just a, a memory I think." he finished with a shaky breath.

"Really? Anything in particular?" he asked with wide eyes.

"...No. Only blurs. But," he snatched the chocolate out of the lad's hand with a smirk, "I will have some chocolate."

"Alright." Harry laughed. "I think it's salted, your favourite according to Jay."

Jay. That name was so familiar. He was looking forward to meeting this person, he hoped he was friendly.

They walked in silence for about ten minutes but it wasn't awkward at all. He found comfort in being with Harry and felt... safe.

"Well here we are."