Chapter 10-Dark Era

It was the next day and Odasaku had invited me to visit the orphans. We walked all the way out to the little restaurant that housed them. Before visiting them we stopped in to eat food and talk to the store owner.

"How's the curry taste?" The owner wonders after Odasaku and I take a bite.

"The same as usual." Odasaku mediocrely replies.

"You mean GOOD as usual." I exaggerate, elbowing him in the ribs playfully. He just rolls his eyes at me and I stop.

"How are the kids doing?" Odasaku asks.

"The same as usual." The owner replies with Odasaku's words.

"Not you too!" I shout, leaping up from my seat and pointing a finger at him. "You guys always do this." I say looking back and forth between them. "Why?!" I cry, plopping back down in my seat.

"We just like to mess with you, little red." Odasaku smiles, patting me on the head. Sighing, I ignore him and go back to eating my food.

"You know, they're all upstairs, so why don't you both go say hi?" The owner says which makes me speed up shoveling the curry into my mouth.

"Slow down, little red, there's no rush." Odasaku says placing a hand on my shoulder.

"You say that now..." I trail off before shoving a spoonful in my mouth. "But you know that's not true." I say after swallowing. The owner and him laugh at my antics before Odasaku begins to eat his food. Once we're both done we walk out of the shop and around to the stairs that lead to the housing above. "Race you up top!" I cheer before racing up the steps. "Ha! Beat you!" I declare once reaching the top, turning around to point back down at Odasaku who slowly walks up the steps.

"Yup, you beat me." He chuckles. "Did you have sugar before you came here? You have a lot of energy today?"

"Nah, Aku gave me a cup of coffee when I visited the office."

"Ah... I see..." He trails off as he reaches the top. "Who's Aku again?" He asks while slipping off his shoes and I do the same.

"Akutagawa. Dazai's subordinate." I reply.

"Oh." He sighs before walking down the hall with me trailing after him to the kids' room. "It's me—"

"And Rozuko!" I chime in.

"We're coming in." Odasaku says, opening the door. "How are you guys doing?" As we walk in the children are all doing their own things in separate areas. "You're not causing the old man any trouble, are you?"

"I've got you now!" One of the boys shouts, jumping from the top bunk onto Odasaku. The rest of them all then dive-bomb onto him, attacking him, bringing him to the ground. "How's that, Odasaku? You give up?"

"You guys always leave me out." I pout, plopping down to the ground beside Odasaku's head. My arms were crossed over my chest and I sat criss-cross applesauce style.

"Apparently I'm going to have to show you just how scary the real mafia is..." Odasaku notes looking up at the kids. Swiftly their roles were reversed. The kids were all tied up in a circle while Odasaku and I stood above them. At one point Odasaku almost tied me up with them. "You give up?"

"Nope!" The leader boy shouts.

"Then..." Odasaku bends down. "Let's have some Port Mafia-style torture." He says wiggling his fingers before tickling the kid.

"Stop! I'll die! I'll die! No! Stop! Seriously, stop! Stop!" He cries out through his laughter. Odasaku finally stops and we go to leave their room. "I'll definitely get you next time." The boy huffs as the others wave and smile at our departure.