Chapter 9-Dark Era

It was a nice day so I had decided to take a walk around the port. I had the day off and was trying to not be bored. As I came up to a space that jutted out from the land, barricaded with cement, I was tugged behind it. Immediately my hand reached for the attackers but they stopped me by placing a kiss on my neck. Shivering, my movement halts.

"It's just me, Ro." Dazai says hugging me from behind.

"You're lucky, I was about to judo flip you." I huff pulling him off me. "Why'd you do that?"

"I saw you walking and wanted to surprise you, little rose." He smiles.

"Uh-huh." I hum. "What were you really doing?"

"If you're asking if I was stalking you then that's a no. I was going this way in the first place." He states before grabbing my hand. "Let's go up here!" He cheers pointing to the top of the cement wall. He doesn't give me a choice to answer and pulls me up with him. Sitting criss-cross he puts me in his lap and pulls out a gaming device.

"Dazai, what are you doing?" I sigh, facepalming. He wraps his arms under mine and begins to play his game.

"Buying time." He says as he navigated the race car. Rolling my eyes I look down at the scene below us. Hirotsu stands looking down at three dead bodies with several regular Port Mafia members.

"Find out if these three have families." Hirotsu says to his subordinates. "If they do, I'll contact them. Also, an executive will be here shortly." He goes to put a cigarette in his mouth but Dazai calls out to them.

"Good morning, everyone!" Dazai cheers vigorously playing his game with me in his lap. I groan in pain from his frantic behavior. "Hang on just one second. I'm about to clear this difficult level. Oh, crap! He's ahead! Take this attack! Dang, he dodged it!"

"Dazai, Rozuko, thank you for taking the trouble to come out here." Hirotsu says bowing slightly. "Our armory guards were killed."

"It's been a while since we last had anyone reckless enough to target a Port Mafia armory." Dazai says.

"Each died on the spot after being hit with between ten and twenty 9mm rounds." Hirotsu explains. "Firearms were taken from the armory."

"Then I'll go take a look." Dazai taps me on the shoulder so I slide down off his lap, sticking the landing on the ground beneath us. "Take care of this, will you?" Dazai throws his gaming device at Hirotsu who fumbles while catching it. "Hm." He bends down scoping out the dead bodies.

"I-I wouldn't know what to do right away!" Hirotsu exclaims finally getting a hold of the game. "W-which buttons do I press?" I giggle at the older man, finding entertainment in his struggle.

"This many rounds that went clean through the bodies... that means a sub-machine gun was used at close range." Dazai deducts. "The assailants were pretty skilled. I'm getting my hopes up. Do we have surveillance footage of the warehouse?" One of the suited men hands Dazai a stack of photos. "They just look like vagrants at first glance, but they must be well-trained soldiers. They are careful about covering each others' blind spots. Still, why take on this appearance?"

"Gah!" Hirotsu cries as he loses the racing game. Poor guy.

"Hirotsu..." Dazai calls out to the man.

"I have no excuse to offer." He replies, turning to face Dazai, the game behind his back. "If you give me another chance, I will surely—"

"Do you recognize this gun?" Dazai asks, holding up a picture of the said weapon.

"It's an old model. It's older than me. I think it's a Graugeist. An old European pistol."

"I saw this gun last night... that means they attacked me right before they hit the armory. It must've been a distraction. This is interesting." Dazai chuckles. "They're a far more interesting bunch than I thought. Hirotsu, they hit one of the Port Mafia's best storage units. They used the official passcode to get in. It's only known to members who are sub-executives and higher."