17: The Prince and the Princess

"Drole, got a minute?"

Drole's blood ran cold at the tone of his leader. A million thoughts passed through his mind wondering what Zeldris could possibly want with him as they didn't speak much outside of Commandment duties. Despite the overwhelming guilt building and increase of his heartbeat, he maintained a passive demeanor. "Of course, Zeldris." He was as ready as he'd ever be to get laid into.

Zeldris had a serious look as he took one step then another slowly. He gazed up at the giant, brows furrowed together. "Does Obsidian seem different to you?"

Well, that wasn't what he'd been expecting.

"Different how?"

"Has she been uncharacteristically happy or is it just me?" Zeldris inquired.

"Is that a bad thing?" Drole looked down at him with an eyebrow raised. "I thought you wanted her to be happy in this—how did you put it—shitty mundane world?"

Zeldris shrugged, getting defensive. "It's not normal. O's never this happy, never this content. I've seen her smile way more than I'm comfortable with. It's getting weird. Why is she always smiling, anyway? Hellooo, her happiness is standing right here." He flailed his hand around. Drole couldn't help laughing much to his annoyance. "What's so funny?"

"You sound jealous," he stated.

"Jealous?!" He was shocked. "Of what?"

"She's been paying less attention to you," Drole explained. "Do you think this has anything to do with that fight you two had?"

"That was ages ago... You think she's still mad about that?" Truthfully, it had only been a few days since they'd gotten into that spat. Though, with the lack of communication, it felt like eons.

"Well, did you apologize?"

"What reason do I have to apologize? She's the one who should be apologizing to me!" Zeldris said angrily.

Drole nodded, seemingly agreeing with Zeldris until he said, "And this is why Obsidian's avoiding you."

Zeldris didn't care what the giant said. He hadn't been there. He didn't know.

The emotions he harbored brought up unpleasant memories. The feeling of inadequacy, of lesser value and unimportance. Those thoughts twisted up his insides until he felt sickened by himself. It was all Obsidian's fault.

"She not only disrespected me, but outright embarrassed me by flirting with some lowly human knight. Does that or does that not warrant an apology?"

"You're blowing things out of proportion."

"Out of propor..." Zeldris couldn't contain his frustrations anymore and punched the ground, sending a shock wave ripping through the earth. Drole remained unphased by the earthly disturbance despite internally feeling immense concern by his leader's anger.

"Easy, Zeldris, keep a level head," he spoke calmly.

"That's so easy for you to say when your girlfriend doesn't drive you out of your mind." He curled his fingers into fists. "Ooh, I'm gonna—"

"Let her have space," Drole finished for him. "You don't have to be glued at the hip. Some time apart seems like something you both need. Take her feelings into consideration before you cause more damage that won't be as fixable."

"Her feelings?" Zeldris pointed to himself. "What about mine, Drole? Hm? Am I not supposed to give a damn about my own emotions to appease O?"

"I didn't say that."