43: Our O

* * *

* * *

Gloxinia sat quietly as he watched the knight sleep peacefully. He was probably dreaming of Obsidian, Gloxinia reckoned, as he didn't seem to think about much else. The fairy snickered to himself at the thought, finding it so strange how a human and a demon have become so close as the pair obviously had.

From their first encounter in Vaizel up to now, Obsidian's fondness had grown immensely. Whether friends or romantic interests (it was still hard to say), Gloxinia wished she would simply leave the man alone. Humans were nothing but trouble and she didn't need to get mixed up in their bullshit.

He tucked his red hair behind his ear as he breathed a sigh, trying to piece together where he went wrong. He'd failed his friend. She depended on him—on all of them—to have her back, and when it really counted, all of them fell short.

Feelings of disgust welled up within the fairy as he gripped the soft grass under him. Why? Why did he have to be so weak?

He had been  so entrapped by fear that he had been unable to control his body to do as his mind instructed. If only he could've been stronger...

"What happened to us, Gloxinia?" Drole asked and it was hard to determine the tone of his voice. He had turned his back on his friend, unable to look at him any longer. "What have we become?"

"Don't get all high and mighty on me, Drole. We both decided to stay when we said we'd leave all of this behind. Do not blame me for your own weaknesses."

"Weaknesses? You are the one who can't keep his word to someone who, for a moment, actually had faith in you. Harlequin and Diane did not deserve our betrayal."

"Obsidian comes first. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but you always knew that," Gloxinia replied, folding his arms. "Harlequin must understand that."

"And then what? After Obsidian is back, will you really have the heart to leave the Commandments?" Drole challenged.

Gloxinia scoffed, not even wishing to dignify his question with a response.

"Something is always going to come up where you choose to stay instead of simply walking away. After all we have been through together, I thought I knew you better." Drole was disappointed in his friend. "I'm going to leave. Zeldris won't be happy, but I can't keep doing this."

"You must have a death wish if you're going to turn your back on him," Gloxinia said with a frown.

"I would rather die knowing I did the right thing than live burdened by all my unforgivable sins." Drole looked down at his fairy friend. "Please, come with me. It's not too late for us."