7: Moving Forward

The grisly scene of his Captain's demise replayed over and over again in Ban's head. The Commandments had successfully exacted their revenge and now plotted to continue their takeover with their biggest threat to them no longer in the picture. It all had happened so fast -- one minute Meliodas had been right there by his side, then the next he was being impaled by the demon, Estarossa. His eyes, dull and lifeless, haunted Ban.

Ban let out a puff of air as he stared down at the table he sat at. He hadn't been strong enough to save him. If he had acted sooner, maybe he could've.

He'd been so sure of Meliodas's capabilities the thought never occurred to him that there was a chance he'd fail. God, he could still see that saddened look on the captain's face when the final heart had been impaled. It haunted his mind along with Estarossa's unfathomable indifference.

Hawk approached, nudging his leg with his head in a sort of comforting gesture. Ban looked down at him.

"You O.K., Ban?"

Ban couldn't help a chuckle. He shook his head. "What do you think?" He questioned. "No doubt those freaks are gonna go after Liones next. And without the captain, we don't stand a chance."

"We have to try, though, right?" Hawk was optimistic.

"You saw for yourself, Master, one Commandment on their own is enough to take on multiple people at once. Together, they can take down the entire country." Ban drummed his fingers on the bar as he continued to sulk.

King entered the tavern, sighing as he closed the door behind him. He looked just as shaken up as Ban felt. Not only did he watch his leader die, but the revelation that he was a demon and the former leader of the Commandments was enough to make King unsettled. It was all too much that was happening too fast. Right now, he was trying to suppress his feelings about the demons and Meliodas and focus on his love, but that, too was an entire different beast he didn't know how to handle.

"Hey, how's Diane doing?" Ban questioned.

"She still can't remember anything, so she went back with Matrona," King replied. He looked saddened as he bore the news. "I swear, Gowther is going to pay for screwing with her memories." He clenched his fists thinking of exactly how he'd punish their creepy pink haired teammate.

Gowther had done a lot of things, but this had crossed a major line. Not only had he messed with Guila and her younger brother, but now he had taken advantage of a member of his on team. Diane was their friend, so how could Gowther ever be so vile as to make her forget everything she's ever known?

Ban slid his tongue along his fangs, picking at his teeth as he feigned boredom. "I guess you could try to get through to him. Not like there's much you can do to that freak, anyway. The guy's got issues."

Gowther made his presence known and pushed his glasses up on his face. He was posing, though after reading the room, he became more serious. "I understand we've fallen on hard times, but I would think even you, Ban, would be sort of your usual self."

"Piss off," he snapped suddenly. He was definitely not in the mood to deal with Gowther's bullshit.

Gowther cocked his head to the side, not being able to comprehend the pain and regret he was feeling. Ban had lost his love again and his best friend all at once and it was too overwhelming for the Sin of Greed. He wasn't able to save either one of them. Elaine had died in vain and he'd never be able to live that down.

"Don't you have better things to be doing than bothering us? Like fixing Diane?" King demanded.

Gowther looked to the ceiling, a finger under his chin. "No, not really."