12: In the Name of Pride

"Bring the Lion Sin to me and I won't burn Liones to the ground."

Obsidian's voice echoed in Ban's head as he downed another ale. He had been hearing her voice for the past hour so he tried to get himself drunk enough to forget. The demoness wasn't to be trusted. She gave her word that she'd leave Liones alone, but how could he be sure she meant that? And furthermore, could he really turn over Escanor?

No, no. It was crazy. Escanor didn't deserve that. Ban would rather continue to fight than betray his friend. Still, he found himself torn. Sacrifice one to save many? It felt like a pretty solid trade-off.

He'd been put in a similar moral situation when he almost killed Meliodas to ressurect Elaine. And yet somehow, the Captain's trust in him never faltered. He had even embraced a fight to the death because that's what Ban had wanted. Ban had been a bad friend and made a mess of things cor his own selfish reasons. He couldn't repeat those actions now.

"Ban?" It was Jericho. She looked concerned as she touched him. "Everything alright?"

He gripped his ale. "What are you doing here?"

"What, you don't want me here?" She placed her hands on her hips.

"It's not that. I'm just surprised to see you."

"What are you thinking about?"

Ban drank some more. "I can't tell you."

"Is it about Escanor?" She wondered. Ban's ears perked up and he grit his teeth together realizing someone must've told her. "You know you can't turn him in."

"I just might have to," he said bluntly.

Jericho was astounded. Had he learned nothing from before?

"He's your friend," Jericho said.

"Meliodas is my friend yet I still tried to kill him. Only difference between the two is that this isn't for my benefit, but for all of Brittania."

"There has to be another way to stop the demon clan," she insisted. "We have to find another way."

Ban laughed bitterly, downing the rest of his alcohol. "There is no other way."

"But--"

"They call her Obsidian the Reaper, Jericho, so go ahead and keep telling yourself there's a way for her to see reason."

"I still think we can take her," Jericho said and put her hands on her hips stubbornly.

"Have you met Obsidian? Or seen her lately? If you thought she was crazy before, you have no idea how many screws have loosened in that flaming head of hers. She isn't like Galand or even Melascula. She's way, way worse."

"You're right about that," came Escanor's voice boldly from behind him. He had reverted to his daytime form of a ripped, hulking man. His footsteps thumped loudly through the Boar Hat. "Obsidian is absolutely psychotic and will stop at nothing until she gets what she wants... which is why I must turn myself in."

"Escanor, you're out of your mind!" Jericho tried to deter him.

The Lion Sin was too prideful. "I caused this strife, now I must pay the price. I will turn myself over to Lady Obsidian and let her have her way with me, but believe me when I say I won't go easy."

"No!" Jericho refused to let him sacrifice himself. "Ban, tell him!"

"I must. A life for a life, that is the demons' way."

Jericho stuttered over her words, trying to find something to say. She'd seen what the Commandments were capable of firsthand and it struck fear deep down to her core.