Chapter Twenty Seven: Surprised

"Stop! Now!" I shouted as I ran after the traitor, not being able to see his face, but I felt something that I've sensed before

"Stop! Now!" I shouted as I ran after the traitor, not being able to see his face, but I felt something that I've sensed before. I came to an intersection in the hallway, just in time for Rex and Cody to catch up.

"Rex, you and Cody go that way, I'll see if I can cut him off this way." I acknowledged as Rex nodded. "You got it, Blondie! Let's move!"

Rex and Cody ran left while I ran straight, which had wrapped around towards the mess hall. I whipped out my lightsaber, hoping I caught him in time, but when I made it to the entrance, I saw that it was Rex and Cody.

"Great. He must have went into the mess hall." Cody mumbled as I retracted my lightsaber and the three of us walked in, only to see that there were at least dozens of clone troopers in the mess hall. I sighed before I turned back to Rex and Cody.

"This isn't good, guys.." I mumbled as Rex and Cody nodded. "Yeah, the traitor is someone amongst our own. This is definitely not a good sign. Let's head back to the control center." Rex said as I nodded and we left out the mess hall.

"Why would one of the clones want to betray us to the Separatists? I mean, what motive could they have?" I asked as I crossed my arms, leaning against the table. "I'm not actually sure, Blondie. But we need to find out who it is, or our defenses can become compromised sooner than we know." Cody said as I nodded.

"Okay, I'll contact Master Kenobi." I said as I went over to the communication panel. I tried a while to contact Master Kenobi, but our communications were being jammed. "Great, I can't reach Master Kenobi. Whoever it is doesn't want us communicating with him whatsoever."

"Hmm. R2, come here and plug in." Rex said as R2 wheeled himself over to me and had plugged in to the panel.

"What's he doing?" Cody asked. "The guard got his message out somehow without us knowing." Rex began as I rubbed R2's head. "Then, maybe R2 could find out who it is!"

"Exactly."

"What? You saying he just sat down and write a note?" Cody asked sarcastically as I rolled my eyes. "No, Cody. We can probably intercept a frequency or at least detect it."

R2 worked for a bit before I saw something pop up on the screen. "I think R2 found something." I said as Rex grabbed the panel.

"What is it? Is it the traitor?" Cody asked as Rex and I looked at it. "Not sure. It could be."

"What is he looking for?"

"Wavelength interference, weak frequencies, spotty, irregular. See? How it disappears every few days? Day to day you won't notice it." Rex said as I continued to look it.

"What is it?"

"What is it?"

"It's the pattern. It's only coming from one area in the entire base. And guess where?" I began as I handed the panel to Cody. "That's Slick's barracks."

"Exactly. I think it's time we paid them a little visit." Rex said as I nodded.

"There's no way. My men won't do anything like this!" Slick exclaimed as I furrowed my eyebrows slightly. "Like what?"

I looked towards the door and saw the clone troopers from Slick's barracks enter in. "You called them here?"

"We did." Rex said as I observed them all. "Let me have a few minutes with them, it's gonna hit them hard. If one of their brothers betrayed them-"

"That won't be necessary." Cody said as I watched him approach the men. "Your men are tough, right? Take a seat, gentlemen."

The other troopers took a seat and immediately Cody and Rex began their interrogation

The other troopers took a seat and immediately Cody and Rex began their interrogation. I observed them all. They all seemed nervous and some were fidgeting just a little bit. I could understand why. They're being interrogated by their commanding officers. Why wouldn't be nervous.

I kept looking Slick, who was trying everything in his power to talk to the men. It seemed off to me how he wanted to talk to his men, when they're MEN.

Everyone had went and all had confirmed of their whereabouts. When it got down to the last trooper, he seem to fidget more than he should. He looked like he was sweating bullets and bullets of sweat.

"Chopper?"

"I..um..I also..uh headed towards the mess hall, too." Chopper said as I raised an eyebrow. "You sure about that?" I asked as he looked at me nervously, then back at Rex and Cody.

"I-I-I mean.."

"It's not good to lie to your commanding officers, soldier." Rex said as Chopper sighed. "I..I came back here making this."

I gasped softly when I saw that he had droid fingers tied with a piece of string, almost like a bracelet. From what I remember correctly, Master Kenobi said that it's forbidden for a clone trooper to take anything from off the battlefield, even from it's enemies. He may have committed a crime technically, but I could sense he wasn't the traitor.

"Chopper, we're all brothers. But how can we believe a word you say when you're doing something like this?" Slick said as Chopper looked at everyone with wide eyes.

"Woah! I'm not the traitor! I wouldn't do anything like that!" Chopper denied as Slick placed his hand on his shoulder plate. "Don't worry. You don't have to say anything until the Jedi gets back and you have a proper investigation."

My head perked up at this before I approached Rex and Cody. "Wait a minute, how did you know the Jedi were gone? We haven't told anyone."

"Slick?" Cody called as the other troopers and I waited to hear his answer

"Slick?" Cody called as the other troopers and I waited to hear his answer. "I really wish you hadn't noticed that, ma'am." He mumbled before he punched me in my eye, causing me to be knocked into Rex before he took off running.

"Slick's the traitor?!" Cody shouted as he ran after him. Rex had helped me to my feet while I held my eye. "You okay?"

"I'll be fine. Just go!" I shouted as he nodded and ran off after Cody and Slick. "Ma'am, are you sure you're okay?" I heard one of the troopers ask me as I quickly unveiled my lightsaber.

"I'm fine. You guys stay here."