Chapter One: Assignment

My hands had bullets of sweat running down them. I've never had sweaty palms and yet for some reason, I do. Maybe it's because I'm going on my first mission, or maybe it's because I'll mess up. I wasn't sure.

But my forehead began to sweat even more when a clone trooper approached me.

"Padawan Brimm?"

"Yes?" Wait, why did I ask it in a question? Of course it is! What else would it be?!

"Captain Rex. I was requested to escort you to the communication room, ma'am. Follow me." The clone, Captain Rex, said to me as I exhaled softly and followed closely behind him.

"So, um, Captain Rex, on your first mission, were you nervous?" I asked while grabbing his attention. He looked at me before looking forward again. "I was. But the Generals told me that that's a normal thing. But the more missions I went on, the less nervous I became. Why? You're nervous?"

"A little. Should I be nervous, Captain Rex?"

"There's nothing to be nervous about, ma'am. Just stay close and you'll be good." Captain Rex said as I nodded and we approached the communication room. "Well, thank you, Captain. For the confidence boost."

"Heh. Just doing my job, ma'am." Captain Rex said with a small chuckle before we entered inside. The first people I saw was old friends of mine.

"Master Skywalker, Master Kenobi!" I greeted as I hugged Master Kenobi first, then Master Skywalker. "It's really good to see you guys!"

"And you too, my dear. It has been a very long time. Seven years, has it? You haven't aged a bit. Still beautiful and radiant as ever." Master Kenobi said as I shyed away bashfully. "Thank you, General Kenobi."

"Eh. Still short." Master Skywalker said with a smirk as I glared at him. "Hey! I'm not short!"

"Heh. It's still good to see you, Shiny. I hope Rex was good company." He said as I smiled and looked back to see Captain Rex still looking our way. "Yes, actually. He was. I hope he'll still be good company on missions. If.. there'll ever be..missions?"

"Heh. Oh, there will be. And Master Yoda said that you'll be taught under us for the time being. Oh, and speaking of teaching.." Master Skywalker began as he turned around and saw another youngling enter in from another door to the communication room.

"Hello, Master." The youngling greeted before she looked at me. Immediately her eyes lit up like a star when she did. "You must be Valerie! Wow, I've heard so much about you! Do you really possess super strength?! Do you really have inhuman natural senses?! Is it-" Before she could finish, she looked at the Masters and both had their eyebrows raised before she cleared her throat.

"I mean, hi, I'm Ahsoka Tano. I'm Master Skywalker's Padawan."

"Padawan?" I asked in fake shock as I looked at Master Skywalker who was now rolling his eyes. "I had no idea he knew how to teach."

"Hey, I take offense to that!" Master Skywalker said as I giggled. "Well, I'm glad that he's teaching his ways to his Padawan. Hopefully they're good ones. I hate to get back onto the subject, but what's going on?"

"Glad you asked, my dear. When Anakin and Ahsoka returned from their rescue mission, they had witnessed full hand on what the weapon the Separatists built possesses. It's an ion cannon. It fries every circuit within range and leaves a ship defenseless and powerless. Master Plo Koon and his crew had suffered greatly from it, but few had survived, including himself. Unfortunately, the Separatists plan to take out Kamino, the medical station where they treat wounded clones and create new clones." Master Kenobi explained as I looked from him to the clones around the room.

"But, that would mean we would lose the war, right? And all those wounded. They would die!" I exclaimed as Master Kenobi nodded.

"Indeed. That is where we come in. Anakin will be leading a fighter squadron to Kamino to try and get the wounded out of there before the Separatists arrive. You and Ahsoka will be tagging along as well for back up." Master Kenobi explained once more before I nodded. "I'm ready, Master."

"I know you are. But for the time being, you will ride the fighter escort with Master Plo. The mission is going to be risky, so I need you to stick with someone you're familiar with." I nodded, knowing there was no need to ask why I couldn't go with Master Skywalker. His Padawan was coming, so it only made perfect sense.

Besides, I haven't seen Master Plo since I started my training. It would be nice to see him again. Just as everyone began to go back to their posts, Ahsoka came up to me and had a genuine smile on her face.

"Sorry about before. It's just..when I heard you were coming, I got so excited. I've heard stories about you growing up. Though, you were 10 and I was almost 8. I was hearing rumors about you and what kind of powers you possessed. I just..got carried away." Ahsoka apologized as I shook my head.

"It's okay, Ahsoka. I would have done the same thing. There's no need to be sorry. You were just curious. But enough said. I hope we'll be doing more missions like this one in the future. I would really love to work beside you.."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You seem like a cool kid, Ahsoka. But, I do have to ask, are you nervous? Because I am. I can't stop sweating." I admitted as I wiped my palms on my clothes. "Yeah, I am. I've never been on an actual mission like this. This is big. But I'm up for it."

"I am, too. If Captain Rex said I'll be okay, then maybe I'll be okay."