22

YASMEEN'S P.O.V

"The police man laughed in our faces. Said we had no evidence. Even if we had evidence, we had no chance because no one would take the word of an orphan over the word of an emir. He said we just wanted bribe" I told Mubasshir calmly over the phone. He was quiet for some time.

"My brothers and I have decided to leave the whole thing alone. To not press charges because the man was right" I added, my heart breaking at the thought of Sani going scot-free after mutilating and destroying my innocence.

"Hell No! We are going to the police tomorrow. You and I. I'll pick you up at 10" he ends the call, leaving no room for my opinion or protest. No surprise there.

Why do I feel like I have greater chances of draining the river Niger with a straw than convincing him to leave this matter alone?

And how will I get my brothers to let me go out without them tomorrow? With him!

I held my temples tightly as my head was beginning to throb.

***

"Saddam, I'll be going back to the police today" I said to Saddam who was sipping twinnings earl grey from baba's tea cup.

'' why? did you remember anything that can help? I can take a day off and-''

"no Saddam, I'm going with Mubasshir, the prince" he froze momentarily. I did not know what reaction to expect from him.

"why?" he asks, sipping his tea again.

"because I'm going to try to dissuade him tomorrow. Get him to leave the whole matter alone like we've planned" I half whisper.

"why does he care anyway? What makes him think he has a say?" I wondered also. Why does he care?

"I honestly don't know. Probably because the uncle took his throne. Him going to jail means Mubasshir gets the throne back, since Sani has no heir yet." yeah. That's definitely why.

I could see reluctance in his eyes. He isn't going to let me go.

"do you trust him?" yes.

"No. But he has done a lot for me, he deserves my courtesy at the very least" he stayed quiet for what seemed like a long time. Why did i lie?

"fine. But Fahad wont like it"

"then don't tell him please. He'll just overreact and everyone will get upset"

"are you asking me to lie?" he asked bemused.

"its not lying, tell him half of the truth" I say playfully.

"tell me what" Fahad asks coming out of his room, completely dressed for work. I jumped a little. I totally forgot he was still in the house.

"that Yas here is going to a friend's place for the day" saddam said smoothly. I feel bad that we have to lie to him but that's our only choice. He will never let me go out with a guy after what happened. Much less with one who is related to the culprit.

"a friend" he says, raising his brows in suspicion.

"Yas your only friends are the characters in your Agatha Christie novels " true.

"offence taken!" I say dramatically holding my heart. He rolls his eyes.

"well there's this girl I met in school. She's in rimi for the day, from Abuja"

"her name?" he asks, still very much sceptical.

"chill! She already told me all we need to know. I have the girl's number" Saddam says. You see why I love him?