3

The kakaki(flute) was blown so loud, it startled us all. The emir is back! I instantly became so happy I almost shed a tear.

They've been gone for just seven days but those seven days felt like seven years. Because in those seven days, I've been damaged, tortured. In those seven days, I've lost my pride and dignity. In those seven days, I've shamed my family. My tears instantly became those of pain but I quickly wiped them away as people started piling in.

At least now there will be people around which will make it easier for me to stay away from the beast. I hope.

The other girls and I ran out to assist in bringing in the stuff they brought back because the guards are not allowed in the Queen's chambers. Boxes, pierre Cardin! I know the designer because it used to be baba's favourite, raheemahullah (may Allah have mercy on him). Maybe the emir is getting married again. When a monogamous emir is appointed, he is usually pressured by the elders to take a second, third and fourth wife. "because he is the traditional and religious head of the emirate" baba had told me.

I don't think three boxes are enough but what do I care?

We took the boxes to the emir's chambers. This is actually the first time I'm coming in here. Its like the queen's chambers but bigger and more masculine. It had red curtains lined with silver covering the walls of the hallway. There was an antique grey rug running down the entire length of the floor. The rug was so soft and fluffy under my feet it made me smile. I just want to lay in it.

We got to the end of the long hallway and were asked to keep the boxes and bags by a door. We did just that and left. People were still piling in and there was a lot of noise. Mostly from the loud kakaki outside. Who were they welcoming? I could here praises from a distance.

Allah ya jaa zamanin Dan zaki
Dawisu Dan America
Dan mai masallacin juma'a Jikan mai masallacin juma'a
Allah ya kunyata makiyanka
yaro Dan damisa...

I laughed a little at the ridiculous praises. The crowd moved to one of the large rooms branching off the hallway. It had no door. I'm assuming that is were all the meetings are held seeing as it had a large bedlike chair that was designed to perfection with blue silk and gold. There was a du'a portrait above the king's chair. Antique clay designs on the wall. Two chairs sat beside the king's and there was. It had a red velvet rug spread across the entire room. A split air conditioning stood by the side. The room is truly beautiful and majestic.

We rushed to the kitchen because food is to be served to the guests. We'd bring the food and give it to the guards who will then take in into the king's quarters. The queen served the emir in his private chamber which I didn't even know about until Basma spoke of it twenty seconds ago. I'm yet to fully understand how this palace works.

"Keh, ku kawo abinci dakin Khalifa (bring food up to Khalifa's room)" Sani's voice came, instantly sending a chill down my spine. Bile rose up to my mouth. Then he added,

"Not you Yasmeen. I don't want to see you around the King's chambers today" he always speaks English when he's referring to me alone. I always, always take his food to his room. If someone else takes it, he'll send them back. He even whipped one of the girls for taking his food and whipped me afterwards for letting her bring the food.

Then he'll smack my butt of fondle me when I take the food to him. It always made me feel like gouging out his frog like eyes. I used to cry every time after it but not anymore. Now, I'm numb. So today that he didn't request for me, I wanted to jump for joy. Maybe he has gotten tired of me. Maybe he'll leave me alone.

The girls were in clusters, talking, gossiping. Kubra came up to me.

"Aunty golden eyes" she said in a funny accent like one of the guards says. For some reason he calls me 'aunty golden eyes'. I burst out laughing. She does the accent so well.