9

After three months, I could say baba is at 70 percent. He's got his speech back and he's walking fairly well with a little limp. He does physiotherapy and his doctors come in every week.

The fear that grips me at the thought of losing my father is beyond measure. I wasn't ready to be the emir. I'm barely 27! I want to travel and enjoy my life before I am trapped in a turban for the rest of it.

Zaki! Allah ya sa ka fi haka

The palace guards praised as they saw baba in the court room for the first time in a while. "He got back from Saudi last night"

He addressed the court like he would do normally. They kept on attacking him with issues. Clash between two communities, a company setting up a mine without permit, someone that died... I was getting worried. He doesn't need the stress. He was starting to look disoriented. So I swung into and adjourned the meeting.

"Wai who let this boy in here? As far as I am concerned, he is not a member of the court!" my uncle said. I was about to answer when baba spoke.

"This meeting has been adjourned. We'll meet again. God's willing, in five days time"
The elders greeted him and began to leave.

"An sallame ku(you may go)" I said to the guards who were hesitant until baba waved him hand. I rolled my eyes.

"Sani, stay behind " he ordered.

"An gama Zaki" Came my uncle's reply.

After they all left, Baba Sani moved closer to baba and I.

"I am not well Sani" baba announced. Much to my disapproval. This is a mistake.

"What is the matter Brother?"

"I am not well. Besides, don't you think its time Bashar starts taking responsibility?" Baba calls me Bashar, Bashir, Mubasshir.

"I do your eminence "

"Good. So I expect you teach him. To guide him not try to fight him. I'm getting weaker by the day and soon, he'll have to take over"

"You'll be fine father. No one is taking over any-"

"You don't speak untill you are asked to do so" Baba almost shouted. I frowned unconsciously. Am I seven? He turned back to his brother and spoke again.

"You see, he has a lot to learn. So, can I trust you to teach him?"

"Your eminence he doesn't listen to me" Baba Sani said. I looked at him surprised. Where is this coming from?

"Bashar!"

"Father"

"You will do as your uncle says. He is your father. Disrespect to him means disrespect to me. And you know I don't take disrespect lightly "

"Yes your eminence " I replied. I am pissed.

You see Sani is forty. My dad is sixty five, crazy gap between them because all the other siblings between them are late. Being almost thirty, there's only thirteen years between me and Baba Sani. So he's been more of a brother to me than a father.

Baba stood and walked off. Sani again looked at me with poison in his eyes.

***

"We are yet to get the permit your high-"

"You are yet to get the permit but you're set up and already taking my gold?" I asked the delusional little man. Baba sent me to see that the mine is uprooted until they have a signed permit from the state government.

"Sir, I'm 100% sure we will get the permit by the end of the week."

"I don't care! You will return the gold and sieze all activities at that mine until I see a legal permit! Do you understand?" I didn't know when my voice rose higher. He is pissing me off and I don't function well under stress. I get really cranky.

"Your eminence " he greeted and left the room.

"What do you think you are doing?" Sani came in, looking like I stole both his kidneys.

"Carrying out the Emir's orders" I simply stated, not lifting my head from the papers I was looking at.

"That company is worth a 100 million naira! What if they don't come back? Do you know how much money this emirate can generate from that project?"

"The emir's orders" I said again. He looked at me with a hard glare and stormed out. I let out a heavy sigh. Who'd believe that just last week, I was in Abuja having fun? Now I'm here, royal shit raining down on me and I have no umbrella.

"Ina kwana mama(good morning mother)" I greeted my mother. Its seven in the morning. Who wakes up seven in the morning? She's in Baba's sitting room, already dressed up and ready for the day.

"There's a meeting with the governor. You're going in your father's place. He has his doctor's appointment today " she informed. My hands automatically shot up to my temples.

"Mama I'm tired. I've not been sleeping well. These people don't do a word I say so I have to do everything myself.  They want to eat me up alive!" Her hand moves to my shoulder and she squeezes.

"Muscle up Khalifa, more is to come" I sighed.

"You'll be fine. Take Dambazzau and your uncle with you" she says. I smile at her and went in to see Baba.

The meeting went well. We talked about a lot of uninteresting political stuff and I'm surprised at how I flowed. Though not very surprised because I read. Anything and everything. I wasn't short of what to say at any point. For a doctor in politics, I think I did damn well.

I got back to Rimi after four days. To say I'm drained is an understatement. I can't wait to get rid of this turban.

I went to see Baba after I freshened up. He was lying in his bed, looking better? I don't know. I couldn't even tell anymore. I checked his vitals before I settled on the chair next to his bed and poured myself some of his ginger tea.

"Mubasshir "

"Father"

"Rimi Emirate is yours. Being the emir is your birthright. It is a title you must defend with all your might.

I know I've been hard on you but trust me, life will be harder. So I was only building up your resistance. Toughening your shell.

You must protect the people, you must be a just and kind leader.

You will have a lot of enemies and very little friends so you must pray. Pray to Allah to show you who is who.

You must have faith, you must be strong. Be gentle but be firm.

You must listen to the people but act by the Qur'an and Sunnah. Remember, Allah I watching you at all times. You have your mother and uncle to guide you. " he finished. I was shaking in the knees.

"How was the meeting?" He asked again, interrupting my thoughts, acting like he didn't just hand me my death sentence.

I told him about the meeting and he commended me.

"Allah ya taimaka. Yayi maka albarka " He was saying goodbye? I couldn't take it. I excused myself and went to my mother. Seeing her, I broke down. For the first time since I was twelve, I cried. For the first time since I was twelve, I was afraid. Truly afraid.

A/N

OKAY THIS WAS HARD TO WRITE😭😭😂
SHORT  CHAPTER. WHAT DO YOU THINK?