ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴛʏ fᴏᴜʀ

➳

Jackson and Lunar have joined their daughter and Ansel at the fire pit, sitting in the chairs. Lunar watches as Ansel sharpens his knife still puzzling over what seems so familiar about him.

"After Francesca Guerrera took over the wolves, she offered me a moonlight ring as long as I'd call her Alpha. I declined. So, a couple of her brothers dragged me out here and left me for dead. By the time I healed up, word had spread about what happened to you, and your baby." Jackson says, looking at Lunar.

She shifts nervously, looking down at the ground as she feels a pang of sadness wash over her for once again lying to Jack. But, she knew, it was the only way to keep Hope safe.

"So, I knew it was over, and I just drifted. And that's when I met Ansel. See, he's been teaching me the old ways, the traditions. What it means to be a wolf." Jack continues.

Lunar scoffs now. "You mean by living in the ass end of nowhere?" A tiny laugh escapes her lips.

"Hey, easy. Your kind makes him ornery." Jackson warns, warning her with a glare.

"My kind? What, so cause I'm a hybrid my kind isn't the wolves? Even if they did pledge allegiance to a witch. News flash, there's this thing called multitasking." Lunar rolls her eyes.

"Way I see it, you're more with the vampires than the wolves." Hayley pipes up.

"Shut it!" Lunar snaps, pointing at her daughter. She turns back to Jackson. "The wolves need an alpha. We can fight over the job, if you like."

"Yeah, I'm not going to play alpha to a bunch of wolves with no integrity." Jack shoots back making Lunar scoff.

"What about your friends?" Hayley asks now. "Oliver? He saved those werewolf children and now he's suffering for it. They're gonna kill him!" She exclaims.

Lunar looks at her daughter, unsure what to say. "Yeah, I heard about that. The thing is Ollie betrayed me. He plotted with the Guerrera's. He spilled his own people's blood." Jackson answers for her.

"Gotta say, I agree with Jack here." Hayley looks angry and upset. "You don't know the history I have with him, but let me put it simply for you..he was the reason I triggered my curse, he was the reason I was in the Quarter and involuntarily slaughtered Marcel's vampires, he was the reason I had no one when you were born." Lunar says firmly.

Hayley sighs. "You can't judge someone because of a mistake. We've all made mistakes." She replies quietly.

"Maybe we have, but Oliver repeats his mistakes over and over again. I'm done giving him second chances." Lunar retorts.

"But, he was reporting information back to you! He risked everything to be a double agent, for you!" Hayley exclaims, exasperated.

"It doesn't matter. Witches have him. He's dead. Not that I care." Jackson grumbles.

Lunar looks at him, narrowing her eyes. He was lying. Oliver might be an ass, but he and Jackson had always been best friends despite it all.

Besides, Hayley's words had struck a cord with her too. Oliver had been helping her, it was true.

"Neither of you want to be the Alpha? Fine. I'll save Ollie myself." Hayley stands now, ready to leave.

Lunar quickly gets to her feet. "Absolutely not!" She stops Hayley in her tracks. She looks at her daughter's steely gaze for a moment and sighs. "You said Ollie helped saved the werewolf children, is it possible finding him will lead us to Elijah?"