ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ fɪfᴛʏ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

➳

The citizens of the French Quarter are out in force, all preparing themselves for Father Kieran's funeral. Inside St Anne's church members of the community make their way to Kieran's open casket, including Cami, Francesca, Genevieve and Marcel, paying their respects.

By the time Klaus as arrived everyone else is sat in the pews. He greets Cami with a smile as he passes, before making his way to the casket. He lifts the lid, but instead of the priest, is met by a baby.

The baby coo's at him, reaching out an arm and Klaus smiles. "Hi." He says softly, reaching down to pick up the baby, but instead he feel's a stake being driven into his back; blood begins to pour from his mouth.

Klaus turns around, realising now he's been struck by not just any stake, but the indestructible white oak stake. Mikael is stood grinning at him.

"Greetings, boy." Mikael sneers, grabbing Klaus in a chokehold.

Klaus awakes with a start, looking around his bedroom in the compound. He gasps as he finds his bearings, before lying back down. He half expects to feel Lunar envelope him, or perhaps start to laugh, but the room is filled with nothing but silence, and he is totally alone.

- Rousseau's -

The restaurant is full to the rafters with members of the French Quarter community, as Father Kieran's Irish wake takes place. Klaus is sat at a table, alone, with a glass of scotch when Cami joins him.

"Hey! Earth to you!" She says as she sits down, drink in hand.

Klaus looks up, noticing the blonde's face is scarred and bruised due to her ordeal at the church yesterday. "Your face.." he begins, but she cuts him off.

"Will heal. Listen, I wanted to thank you-" Cami says, but Klaus stops her from continuing.

He lifts his glass. "Unless you've come equipped with the means to fill this, no additional platitudes are necessary."

"Okay.. I'm in a crap mood because my uncle just died, and people are partying like it's Mardi Gras. What's your excuse?" Cami asks, but he only glares at her. "Klaus, seriously, what's going on?"

"I've been having these dreams about my dead father. No diagnosis necessary, love. I've already got this one covered; my fears of fatherhood, of scarring my child as my father scarred me, are manifesting as nightmares." Klaus fake smiles, before downing his drink. "It's horrifically cliche."

"Truthfully? I'm just surprised to hear you acknowledge out loud that you're gonna be a dad. Speaking of, where is your murderous baby mama?" Cami half laughs.

"Lunar spent the night in the Bayou." Klaus replies, not offering up anymore about the situation. Marcel enters the bar, and Klaus turns to look at him. "I know more about the trials of fatherhood than you might imagine, Camille."

Cami follows his gaze, seeing Marcel at the bar. "And it worked out for you so well the first time, why change a thing?" She stands, leaving the table.

New Orleans, 1830s

Klaus enters the governors house, a young Marcel in hot pursuit.

"Well, I see you've come to return some stolen property." The governor says, eyeing young Marcel.

"On the contrary, I've decided the boy shall remain with me." Klaus replies.

"Unfortunately, he's not for sale." The governor glowers at Klaus.