overcoming social anxiety | matilda

When I was younger, I used to think making friends was a waste of time because eventually, they'd all abandon me. 

But when I finally did, I discovered people weren't so bad. I would lower my walls temporarily, then get scared and build them back up. Sometimes, I still do.

The thing about social anxiety is that is clouds your judgement, with tales far from the truth. It may say that people are scary and will never be friends with you, or that they're too loud and shallow and will make you feel out of place.

But, there will be a person, or group of people that you can share your opinions and ideologies with, without being questioned.

I used to get scared when I found myself amongst too many people. My fingers would shake and sweat would trickle down my forehead. It got better when I realized that being around people isn't so bad, even those who you may not like.

Here are some sentence starters if you're looking to get rid of your social anxiety:

1) Find a person or people to start with. Be nice. Ask about their lives, family, work, etc.

2) Don't be afraid to inquire about (not too personal) aspects of their lives.

3) After a civil conversation or if you've run out of ideas, invite that person to continue talking some other time at a particular location.

4) It's alright to be nervous. If you stammer or make mistakes, simply smile and be honest with the person about your nerves. 

5) Ask God for help. You may not be able to do the above mentioned on your own, so it's safer to go into prayer and ask God for guidance because with him, you can never go wrong.

Last, if you try a couple of times and you still feel out of place around people, relax. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's a process; you may not get the hang of it immediately. But you will if you believe in yourself.

I hope these tips will help you as much as they helped me.