Four Years to this Day

"Mummy, mummy!" A little voice whispers excitedly as Nikki's eyes flutter open. Nikki's eyes adjust to see Poppy stood at the side of the bed. "Hey." She smiles tiredly as she sits up slightly and Poppy clambers up onto the bed. "It's my birthday!" Poppy grins happily.

"So it is." Nikki smiles as she pulls Poppy into a hug. "Happy birthday baby girl."
"No mummy I'm not a baby, I'm a big girl!" Poppy frowns.
"Sorry, happy birthday big girl," Nikki says correcting herself.

"No matter how old you are you will still be my baby," Nikki adds as she thinks back to how small Poppy was when she was just born. Poppy looks behind Nikki's shoulder and spots Jack still asleep.  Poppy looks at her mother with a suspicious grin on her face.

Nikki smirks knowing what Poppy is about to do as she leans over and pats Jack's face. "Daddy!!!Daddy!!!"  Poppy shrieks causing Jack to stir.
"Where's the fire?" Jack asks sleepily as he attempts to pull the duvet over his head but is stopped by his eldest daughter.
"No daddy!! It's my birthday!" Poppy announces happily.

Jack's eyes open slowly as he adjusts to being woken up. "Happy birthday my wee girl!" Jack smiles as he sits up and plants a kiss on her forehead.

Poppy giggles as she looks at both of her parents as they snuggle into each other. "Is it party time yet?" Poppy asks excitedly.
"Not yet Pops, you have to have breakfast first and open your presents" Nikki laughs as she looks at Jack who looks shattered. "Do you want to get Maddie ready this morning or Pops?" Nikki asks.

Jack lets out a slight groan "I think you're best off with the birthday girl, aren't you? Me and party dresses don't really go." He laughs as Nikki nods.

"Okay, right then madam shall we go and get Maddison up and give you both some breakfast?" Nikki suggests as she watches her daughter spring off the bed and head in the direction of the door.
"Come on lazy bones." Nikki sighs prodding Jack's side as she clambers out of bed and grabs her robe.

"A few more minutes." Jack smiles back as he sinks back into the bed.
"Don't fall back asleep or you will miss Poppy open her presents," Nikki says rolling her eyes before heading into the next room and picking Maddison up from her cot.

"Hello, precious girl." She smiles as she plants a kiss on Madison's head and begins heading downstairs to make a start on the girl's breakfast.

She makes Maddison some Weetabix and some waffles with strawberries for poppy and sets them down at the table before putting a bib on the youngest girl. "Right then birthday girl, whose present do you want to open first?" Nikki questions as she begins to feed Maddison her breakfast.

"Yours!" Poppy squeals as she scoops a forkful of waffle into her mouth causing Nikki to laugh. "And what dress do you want to wear to your party?" Nikki asks watching as Poppy shrugs unsurely.

Once breakfast is finished Nikki cleans up the girls and puts the tv on for Maddison and Poppy. "Right I'm going to go and get daddy and then we can open your presents." She explains as she checks they are both okay for a few moments and heads back upstairs to find Jack once again asleep.

She climbs onto the bed and cuddles into the side of him causing him to stir. "Come on! Poppy is waiting to open her presents." Nikki smiles as he wakes.

"Hamm" He groans as he opens his eyes.
"Jack! It's your daughter's birthday, have a bit of enthusiasm." Nikki sighs as she moves away from him and sits on the bed.

"I'm up," Jack replies as he gets out of his side of the bed and pulls his robe over his shoulders. "Some of us didn't get the best sleep last night." He fires back as he heads to the door.

"Woah, what's gotten into you?" Nikki asks taking hold of his hand and pushing the door slightly to stop him exiting.

"I'm just tired. I'll be fine when I've had my morning coffee." Jack smiles as he yawns tiredly.
"Well how about a morning kiss for the meantime?" Nikki smirks causing Jack's smile to widen as they lean into each other.