Got to go through it

It's the day of Nikki's scan to check the baby for any conditions that may have been missed by the Midwifery team at Hamilton Ash as the many allegations and arrests that were made due to medical negligence which lead to many stillborn babies or sudden infant death.
Nikki has been up for a good hour with Poppy who is dressed and washed ready for her day at nursery. Poppy is currently sat eating her breakfast while Nikki sits drinking her cup of tea. "Mummy why you going to the hospital?" Poppy questions and then takes a mouthful of Weetabix.

"So the Doctors can check on the baby" Nikki smiles.
Poppy smiles at her Mum and looks back down at her breakfast before getting another spoonful, "Baby come soon?" Poppy questions.
"No darling, 14 weeks, so long time" Nikki smiles as Poppy finishes off her breakfast and grabs her beaker of juice. "Are you excited to have a baby brother or sister?" She adds leaning forwards on the breakfast table.

Poppy takes a deep breath as she finishes drinking her beaker, "No!" Poppy says which causes Nikki to sigh.
"But it will be fun" Nikki smiles but Poppy jumps off her chair and runs off to play with her toys.

Nikki sighs again and strokes her bump as she feels the baby wriggle around, "Well I hope she likes you" Nikki smiles down at her bump.
"Likes who?" A voice comes from the kitchen door which makes Nikki jump, she looks up to see Jack and smiles at him.
"Oh, I'm talking to the baby, I hope Poppy likes the baby" Nikki replies.

Jack laughs and walks into the lounge, "Poppy will get over it eventually" Jack smiles as he watches Nikki walk to the dishwasher with a few things from Poppy's breakfast. "So my lovely fiancée, what do you say to after we've been to this scan we go to that lovely little country pub nearby, the one with proper fat chips and stake pies?" Jack suggests.

"Oh... honestly Jack I feel that sick I don't think I could eat that" She smiles trying not to let him down, Jack hugs Nikki from behind and rests his chin on her shoulder.
"Oh come on Nik, I'm gagging for a pint, well you drive and I shall do the eating and drinking," Jack says stroking her bump.

She smiles as she feels the baby kick frantically at Jack's touch, "Okay, but you're only allowed to have two pints, No coffee, No Mushrooms" She replies and strokes his hands which are resting on her bump.

"Glad you'll come, now shall we get Poppy off to nursery? and go see what trouble this little one is going to cause" Jack chuckles and kisses Nikki's jaw, she turns around and kisses him properly on the lips. "Love you" He mumbles.
"I love you too" Nikki smiles resting her head against his.

Once they have dropped Poppy off at day-nursery, they head to the University College Hospital ahead of Nikki's scans. Soon as they get to gynecology, Nikki books herself in and joins Jack who has picked up a magazine and sat down in the waiting room. "Jack, put that down since when do you read women's health magazine's?" Nikki chuckles placing her handbag between her legs.

"I like to look at the women in them," He smirks.
Nikki raises an eyebrow and snatches the magazine from his hands and frowns, "Jack!" Nikki says in complete shock.
"No, Nik, you got the wrong end of the stick... I mean I look at them but none of them are ever half as good looking as you" He smirks and strokes her knee.

Nikki smiles and rests her head against his shoulder, "I'm scared" She mumbles as she holds the lower part of her bump.
"Why?" He quizzes.
"What if there is something seriously wrong with the baby?" She mutters feeling Jack's hand closest to hers slipping into hers.
"We shall tackle that when we come to it, it's like one of Poppy's books, 'you can't go over it, you can't go under it... we'll have to go through it' see we have got this" Jack says making a smile appear on Nikki's face.

They both sit there quietly in each others company until someone calls Nikki's name, "Dr. Nicola Alexander please" a doctor calls and Nikki stands up grabbing her handbag and coat. Jack stands up and follows Nikki into the Doctors office ready for the scan.