A Rush of Hormones

The following morning, Jack arrives home early morning from a crime scene which he was on call for, he quietly enters the house and removes his shoes and jacket before heading into the kitchen to grab something to eat and a cup of coffee. 
Meanwhile, upstairs, Nikki has had the night from hell with both the girls since Jack left around 2 am. She has been up with Poppy in the night who first came into her around 2:30 am, complaining of stomach ache, and the next at 3:50 am, complaining that her legs are hurting her although Nikki couldn't do anything for Poppy since she was given Calpol at 2:30 am, she just lets her get into bed with her and sleep. 
Maddison also had Nikki up more than her usual routine in the night where she would wake since, usually once for a nappy change and another for a feed, although during the night Maddison was up five times, 3 times for a nappy change and twice to be fed and both times she would only take to the breast and refused bottles. 

Nikki has just put Maddison back down to sleep and has decided due to the time she will grab the opportunity and have a shower. She begins to run the shower and sits on the toilet lid for a moment waiting for the shower to warm up, she grabs her towel from the towel rack and places it on the side before setting into the shower and shutting the door. 

She sighs with relief as the warm waterfalls onto her body, within a second of her being in the shower she hears Maddison crying and she gets out the shower and grabs Jack's dressing gown as her own has baby sick down it. She sits down on the toilet lid for a second and places her head in her hands. 

Nikki takes a few deep breaths before resuming to her normal state and leaving the ensuite and into the bedroom where Jack is stood with Maddison in his arms, "Oh I didn't know you were home" Is Nikki's first response before she notices that Maddison isn't settling for Jack. "Here let me take her, she's been like this all night... I've had two hours sleep" Nikki chuckles awkwardly and walks across the room and takes Maddison from Jack's arms. 

"I have many questions... why are you in my dressing gown and why is Poppy in our bed, I thought she was past that phase?" He speaks and Nikki huffs as she sits down on the bed and opens the dressing gown again and feeds Maddison. 

She rolls her eyes at Jack's questions but answers them anyway, "So Maddison was sick down mine... not once... Twice! oh and Poppy is in our bed because she had a Stomach ache, then she woke me up saying her legs are hurting her!" Nikki sighs as she continues to feed Maddison. 

"Right okay, well I shall wake Poppy and take her downstairs for breakfast" Jack smiles and Nikki doesn't reply. Jack kneels on the bed and gently shakes Poppy's shoulder and calls her name a few times before she starts to wake. 
"Want to take Maddison too" Nikki sighs.
"She's still feeding Nik," He replies and then carries a half-awake Poppy out the room. 

 Nikki sits there quietly and waits for Maddison to finish her feed although she doesn't finish for another eight minutes which is a very long feed for Maddison. Nikki sits her up and gently supports her head and neck and rubs her back until Maddison burps. 

She then places her down in the Moses basket and decides to make the bed and open a few windows to air the bedrooms out. She walks into Poppy's room and makes her bed before tidying a few things up in there and opening a window. 

Soon Poppy comes up the stairs and dashes into her bedroom and collides with Nikki, Poppy falls on her bottom and looks up at Nikki before stripping off her clothes and throwing them down, "Hey what are you doing?" Nikki asks. 
"Daddy said I need to get changed!" Poppy smiles and then opens her chest of drawers and looks through it to find some clothes. 
"Poppy Mae Alexander-Hodgson... you are making them messy, come here. I will get you dressed!" Nikki smiles as the last time Poppy chose what she was wearing it did not match and looked awful.

Nikki dresses Poppy and then lets her place, she takes Poppy's used pyjamas and places them in the wash basket ready to bed cleaned. Nikki finally sits down on her own bed and looks at Maddison who is cooing to herself and kicking the bottom of the Moses Basket. Nikki then looks up at herself in the mirror to see that once again she is leaking breast milk and it's very noticeable in her grey pyjama top. 

She instantly breaks down into tears and starts to cry with her head in her hands. Poppy hears Nikki crying and runs to the door before dashing downstairs to get Jack and sending him upstairs to her. 

Jack knocks the door gently and smiles softly, "Nik?... sweet, what is wrong?" He speaks softly. Nikki shakes her head and chooses not to reply to him. "Nikki, there is clearly something wrong, talk to me" He speaks and walks over to her and sits beside her on the bed, placing an arm around her petite body. 

Nikki looks up at Jack with tears in her eyes and her face bright red, "I give up" She cries as she looks away from him. 
"Why?" He speaks softly as he wraps his arms around her pulling her into a tight embrace, he then plants a loving kiss on her head and waits for a reply. 
Nikki sniffles to herself as she is really worked up and replies to Jack, "I'm fed up, I hate being at home not working, I hate feeling like shit, I have come on my first proper period since having Maddison... Maddison won't settle and is demanding bigger feeding sessions. I'm overly lactating which means I'm practically leaking through all my tops. I have greasy hair and I need a bath alone, and sleep..." She rants and Jack just sits there stroking her arm gently. 

"I'm here now my love, I will watch the girls and get Poppy off to nursery school..." He is cut off by Nikki.
"School is shut, they have a problem with the boiler" She speaks.
"Okay well I shall take her to the shop with me to get a few things, I will take Maddie too and give you some time to do whatever you want. I might even take Poppy to the p-a-r-k" He chuckles as he spells out 'park' as he knows Poppy is hovering upstairs somewhere. 
From outside the bedroom Poppy sits on the floor thinking about what her Dad has just said before leaping to her feet and cheering "YAY we're going to the park!"

From inside the bedroom, Jack and Nikki just look at each other in shock and complete amazement that Poppy can spell.