Single-Handedly

Three days later, Nikki still hasn't shown signs of regaining consciousness although yesterday the made another attempt to remove the ventilator and proved that her body is still working and attempting to fight the infection she has now developed while being in a coma.
Jack, on the other hand, is receiving a lot of help from his Dad, Clarissa, and Thomas who are all chipping in to help Jack with the girls. His Mum has been in touch after finding out about Nikki being stabbed but he refused to answer her calls or even text her back through Nikki's phone as he doesn't trust her at all still.

Jack has just dressed both the girls and his now giving them breakfast, "Daddy?" Poppy smiles as she scoops some of her coco-pops onto her spoon.
"Yes, darling?" Jack smiles as he turns around with his cup of coffee and a bottle of milk for Maddison.
"When will Mummy be home? I miss her lots" Poppy sighs as she slowly eats her breakfast.
"Poppy you know I've told you, Mummy isn't very well so I'm not sure, I wish I knew Pops," Jack smiles trying to keep Poppy's spirits up.

He sits down at the kitchen table and lifts Maddison out of her Moses Basket, she instantly knows she is getting fed and starts to cry and kick her legs out. "Hey you, calm down" He chuckles as he brings the bottle to her mouth although this time she turns her head away from the teat and continues to scream loudly. "I know Maddie, but Mummy isn't here so it's the bottle" He smiles trying to brave through it all.
"Daddy! Make her stop!" Poppy says as she places her spoon down and places her hands over her ears.
"You know she gets upset when she eats, you used to do the same thing" Jack smiles trying to keep his cool. Jack stops for a moment and takes a breather while Maddison lies in his arms crying. He then realises Nikki used to express her own milk and freeze it in the freezer they have in the garage.

Jack gets up with Maddison and walks into the garage through the door in the utility, he opens the freezer door and notices a couple of bottles left and takes one out and places it in the microwave when he gets back into the kitchen.
Jack prepares the bottle and then feels Maddison who isn't too keep about the teat but soon settles and takes the bottle easier than she did with the formula.
After a while, Jack decides to clean the kitchen and places Maddison on the sensory mat in the lounge while he cleans up.

Half an hour later Jack has finished cleaning the kitchen and has emptied the bins into the outside bins and put them out ready for tomorrow's collection. He walks back into the house and glances at the time '8:30 am' he then looks at his phone before calling Poppy through to the kitchen although he gets no response from her and goes to investigate.

He heads into the lounge where Poppy is sat behind the sofa with a piece of paper and her pencils, "What are you up to Missy?" Jack says kneeling on the sofa and peering behind.

Poppy gasps and hides the paper, "No Daddy!" She panics.
"What are you doing Poppy Alexander-Hodgson?" Jack speaks as he lifts Poppy up from behind the sofa causing her to drop her pencils, Poppy instantly screams and tries to kick Jack as he places her on the sofa.

"No Daddy! My secret!" Poppy screams hysterically at Jack as she rolls off onto the floor with a thud and thrashes her legs around.
Jack notices how close Poppy's legs are getting to Maddison's head and grabs her and stands her up between his legs. "Poppy, calm down! Look at me Poppy, calm down... I just wanted to make sure you were okay... and not doing anything you shouldn't have been doing" Jack sighs as Poppy gasps for air during her tantrum.
"I want Mummy!" She cries her face red and her eyes puffy. Jack pulls his three-year-old daughter into a hug.
"I know my darling, so do I..." He mumbles as he kisses her cheek and then pulls her onto his lap. Poppy grabs the piece of paper and holds it close to her chest, "Can I see what you have drawn?" Jack questions and Poppy slowly reveals the piece of paper to Jack.

He takes the piece of paper and admires Poppy's very flattering drawing, "It's Mummy and Me and You" She smiles happily.
"What about Maddie?" Jack questions with a smile.
"I haven't done her yet!" Poppy exclaims.

Jack chuckles and hands her the piece of paper back to her and lets Poppy carry on drawing for a while, Poppy collects all her pencils and moves to by Jack's feet and continues to draw out Maddison who ends up with a giant head and a tiny body. "Daddy?" Poppy asks keeping her eyes fixed on her drawing.
"Yes Pops?" Jack speaks.
"Can you give this to Mummy please and tell her to get better soon because I really, really, really miss her!" Poppy grins and hands the finished drawing to Jack.
"Of course I shall" Jack smiles and takes the drawing and puts it on the coffee table so he knows where to find it before he leaves for the hospital.