Chapter 48: The Resurrection Pt. 2: The Woes of Cassandra

Depuis le début

She closed the metal door. "Volcanion's only staying here for as long as he needs to. And we'll stay to protect him."

"What about Cassandra?" Alex jerked a thumb back at the tanks. "How does this not affect Xerneas?"

"It does affect her," Eve said, then clarified. "But it doesn't harm her. She already gives off powerful Life energy just by existing. And when she revived your Greninja, it was only amplified. We are simply just gathering up the stray energy and storing up power."

"But why?" I asked. "Why bring Cassandra back? She's gone. And what if it doesn't work?"

"Zeno," Eve said softly. "Have you lost people you've loved?"

I took a step back, memories of Willow surfacing. I didn't answer, which Eve took as a yes. 

"If you had a chance to bring them back," she bowed her head, hand pressed up against the tank that held her deceased mother. "Wouldn't you at least try?" She turned to look at me in the eyes. "You had Greninja returned to you. All I'm doing is asking for the same. What makes one life more precious than another?"

I didn't have an answer for her, as the words struck me in my very core. The lives I had ended, I had no right to do so. That was one thing I didn't think could ever be forgiven, nor did I deserve it.

"Even if this fails," Eve gripped a fist. "I at least hope I can say my goodbyes this time."

"Eve," Kamake said, walking forwards.

"Is it time?" she asked.

Kamake nodded and Eve said, "Keep Xerneas stable. We don't want to endanger her. If it comes to having to choose, save Xerneas."

"Ma'am," a grunt came running up. "The Champion is coming."

"Diantha's here?" Eve seemed surprised.

"I'll go explain," Alex volunteered and ran for the exit to intercept Diantha.

"If I see anything go wrong at all," I said, meeting Eve's gaze. "I'm going to shut this down however I have to."

"Fair," she nodded and looked back at the blue-haired Technical Officer. "Start."

A few keys were pressed and the tank Cassandra's remains were suspended in began to glow blue. Bubbles shot upwards, clouding the water. Several machines hooked up to it hummed gently, growing in intensity. 

"Everything's stable," Kamake noted. 

As soon as the words left her mouth, one of the machines sparked and the screen cracked.

"Zeraora," Eve said and her Mythical Pokemon leaped forwards, pressing his paws on the machine, absorbing stray electricity. The cavern shook slightly and I could feel energy in the air. A blue aura surrounded the tank, the bubbles increasing. Eve pressed her hand to her mouth, eyes hopeful. I looked at the tank Xerneas was in and saw that nothing was going on in there.

"What is this?" a voice asked from behind us. I turned to see Diantha stepping forwards with Alex coming up beside her. The Kalos Champion looked tired, but she tried to hide it, her Gardevoir also at her side. 

"We'll see," Robert said, studying the machines with practiced eyes. 

The glass cracked, fissures spreading across the tank. 

"Kamake," Eve whipped her head to look at her.

Kamake's expression was tight as she concentrated on her tablet. "Nearly there... NOW!"

A grunt on standby pressed a button and the humming noise ceased, the blue aura dying away. Cracking sounds were heard in the silence that followed, then nothing. The blue water inside was murky, a form barely visible within. Eve stepped closer, almost hesitantly, and pressed a hand against the glass. Then a hand within the water pressed up against the glass right where Eve's hand was. Eve gasped and stepped back, then shouted, "Get her out of there!"