Chapter 54: Art of Antics

Natsuki Shinomiya

Spring was a beautiful season. 

All of the cold, crystalline snow had melted away and the snowflakes were no longer falling, but countless flowers grew up towards the vivid azure sky and blossomed in an unspoken yet beautiful harmony. Under the warm and broad sunshine, a myriad of flowers such as white dandelions, blue forget-me-not flowers, pink cherry blossoms and yellow daffodils appeared to nearly glisten along with the deep viridian leaves that flowed in the breeze on trees and bushes and were carried by the wind with flower petals. 

Not only that, but the animals had drifted away from their world of dreams and were smiling at the new warm season with their hearts. Graceful butterflies fluttered their wings through the warm and windy atmosphere towards the flower petals spread open for them; bunnies and squirrels were chasing their friends around the serene clearing of the forest and woods; and cats and dogs, including Camus' pet dog Alexander, were being taken out for walks in parks in bright daylight and surrounded by gorgeous colours. Hummingbirds, canaries and countless other birdies were chirping and singing cheerful and precious songs while bringing their own gifts of light and colour into the hearts of everyone who heard them, into this season that everyone got to share with glowing bright smiles.

There were so many things to be happy about in spring, so many things that Natsuki and everyone whom he loved and cared about could share and celebrate with one another, and it made his heart well up with pure warmth. And the first special day to celebrate was a day that Reiji especially loved, which was-

"Everyone, get in your rooms now! Lock and barricade your doors and windows so that Reiji has no chance of gettin' in!"

"Ran-Ran! Don't be a meanie! I'm not that bad-"

"Yes, you are!"

Wait... locking all doors and windows was a tradition on April Fool's?

"Ai, Camus, Natsuki," Ranmaru continued yelling, ignoring Reiji's protests as he rushed into his own bedroom, "get into your-" His heterochromatic eyes dilating in horror, Ranmaru swivelled his head around to face Natsuki, whose eyes widened in shock and confusion. "Oh God. Natsuki shares a bedroom with that pranking dimwit! Oi, Ai, Camus, who's lettin' Natsuki stay over for the night?"

"Natsuki is more than welcome to stay with me-"

"No, don't leave me, Nattsun!"

It was the last night of March. Natsuki, Ranmaru, Ai, Camus and Reiji were sitting in the living room chatting and playing Monopoly over mugs of hot chocolate when Shining texted the Shining Stars group reminding them that tomorrow was a holiday for every member of Shining Agency and so there was no idol work for them. Ranmaru had frowned in suspicion when Reiji was the only one who did not seem confused and was instead smiling as he whistled innocently, and that had been when Camus looked down at his cellphone and paled at the date that was displayed on the bright screen and Ai and Natsuki's eyes widened in realization as Reiji grinned widely.

It was March 31.

Meaning that the next day was April 1, which was April Fool's Day.

And moments after the blood drained from his face, Ranmaru burst into an uproar of panic and shouts.

"No!"

"Ai, hurry up and grab Natsuki before he-"

"Nope!"

Ai was reaching for Natsuki's left arm when Reiji suddenly grabbed the blond's right hand and began sprinting towards the direction of their shared bedroom. "No, Natsuki!" Ranmaru shouted, his voice filled with utter horror as Natsuki was pulled along with Reiji and heard footsteps halt behind the two of them. Blinking in shock, Natsuki spun his head around and found Ranmaru's face filled with the exact same horror as his voice held while Ai and Camus' faces were grim and concerned, and it only made his heart thump in pure confusion.