Chapter 18: Intentions

Natsuki Shinomiya

"There is a probability of 100% that Ranmaru is already scaring his new roommates."

"Scaring?" Natsuki repeated, his eyes widening.

"Already?" Reiji exclaimed, staring at Ai as they and Natsuki walked together across the hallway.

Ai shrugged. "Considering how much Cecil and Otoya had panicked at the fact that Ranmaru is in their unit, I am not surprised."

"Eto..."

"Oh dear..."

More than an hour ago, Shining had announced that Starish and Quartet Night would be living together based on their opening units until the end of the opening round. He had ignored everyone's protests and complaints and dismissed them from his office with a wide smile, telling them to go get their belongings and move in "to their new homes", which Syo and Ranmaru had cursed at. While Camus and the other six members of Starish went back to their rooms, Natsuki, Reiji, Ai and Ranmaru returned to their respective apartments to get their belongings for the next six days including today. Ranmaru had gone back to the mansion first and to his new room while Reiji and Natsuki had picked Ai up on the way back and the three of them were now walking to their new rooms together. Considering how long it took to go back to the apartments and back, Camus, Syo, Tokiya and the others had most likely already moved in too, leaving Reiji, Ai and Natsuki as the only ones left.

As Natsuki walked between Reiji and Ai and pushed his black trolley bag across the red-carpeted floor, Shining's announcement echoed inside his head like a wind's low howl:

"'Cause you all will be rooming together just like back in the Master Course, according to your opening units!"

As much as Shining's words had been brimming with exuberance and vibrance, Natsuki could feel a pang of pain pierce his heart at the words "just like back in the Master Course". The memories of how all of his senpais - Reiji, Ai, Camus and Ranmaru - felt responsible for the pain that he had suffered back then, of how Ai's teal eyes had lowered with guilt and how tears had rolled down Reiji's face, flashed inside Natsuki's head like cold, broken lamps.

At the end... the Master Course had hurt everyone months after it was over... to the point that even Rei-chan-senpai... who's always been strong... cried...

Natsuki felt his heart clench in pain as he lowered his eyes, the sound of the trolley bags' wheels turning ringing in his ears. The fact that he, Reiji, Ai and Ranmaru were moving back to the mansion, although it was only temporary, almost felt like the eleven of them were back in the Master Course all over again, except that none of them wanted to go back there.

I don't want this to be like the Master Course in the sense that this... will hurt everyone all over again...

"It'll be alright, Nattsun."

A hand gave Natsuki's shoulder a gentle squeeze and he turned to Reiji, whose grey eyes were smiling reassuringly at him.

"Shining's making this feel like we're in the Master Course all over again, isn't he?" Reiji let out a few chuckles as Natsuki's eyes widened in surprise. "I can tell from looking into those honest eyes of yours, Nattsun. But the fact is that this is not the same and won't be the same as the Master Course."

Reiji wrapped an arm around Natsuki and smiled warmly.

"Because more than ever, we have one another's backs."

"I now have a better understanding of my flaws and errors from that point in time."

Ai gave Natsuki a sincere smile.