Chapter 2: Bright and Broken

Natsuki Shinomiya

Natsuki was frozen on his chair as the footage from the Hayato concert played on Ozrock's laptop before his very eyes, as he stared at the destruction that he could not even remember causing being caused and the havoc and terror of the crowds. It was him, just without glasses. On the screen, he was singing a song that he never recalled ever singing as he took over a stage that was not even his and he was throwing stage props at the crowds that were screaming in horror, terror and fear beneath him, microphone stands, guitars, chairs and cymbals being hurled at the fans that had come to enjoy songs that were sung by Hayato. Natsuki's heart wrenched in anguish as he saw a little girl cry out in pain as crimson blood seeped out of her mouth due to a guitar colliding against her face and there was a group of teenage girls wailing for someone to save them.

But I don't remember... ever doing such a thing... How could that... be me?

I never... wanted to hurt anyone.

So then... how...

The him in the footage shouted at the crowd to shut up and dropped a piano down onto the audience, earning piercing cries and screams of agony. Someone was shrieking for Natsuki to stop.

How could... tears welled up inside his eyes, this be me...?

Trembling uncontrollably as the version of himself on the screen continued to shout and sing amidst the horrifying scene of chaos, helplessness and terror, Natsuki could feel warm tears slip down his face against his will, his heart breaking in sheer, uncontrollable anguish as the sound of glass shattering stabbed his ears like a thousand blades.

This isn't me! Natsuki cried inside his head. This can't be me!

"Allow me to introduce you to your alter ego. Satsuki Shinomiya."

A finger tapped a key and the video was instantaneously frozen in its place. Natsuki slowly looked up at Ozrock, whose polite expression had been twisted into a cold, smug sneer.

"Satsuki Shinomiya appears the moment you take your glasses off, replacing your personality with his until someone manages to put your glasses back on," Ozrock explained, looking into Natsuki's eyes with a malicious glint in his cruel eyes. "Until then, you will keep creating terror and destruction around you, not caring how many people got hurt, indifferent to the suffering, terror and screams around you. You saw the video, didn't you? Look how you kept going even as a little girl broke down on spot, as fangirls and fanboys bled and cried out in agony, all because of you, Shinomiya-kun."

Natsuki shook his head repeatedly, clutching his head tightly as the images and thoughts spun around and tortured his mind like an unstoppable maelstrom of blades. "But I don't remember ever-"

"Oh, did I forget to mention your instant amnesia?"

Natsuki froze. "Amnesi-"

"Yes." Ozrock's eyes and smile darkened as he stood up and looked down at Natsuki, twirling a tablet pen with his fingers. "Amnesia. The moment that glasses are put on by Satsuki, you are not only returned to your usual personality, but you do not have any remembrance of what you did as Satsuki. How convenient is amnesia when you are so certain that your heart will not be able to bear the consequential reality of your actions, right?"

"But I would never-" Natsuki tried.

"So who is that on the freaking screen?" Ozrock shouted maniacally and accusingly, pointing a menacing finger at the Satsuki in the frozen screen. "Still refusing to admit what you did? Still so sure that that guy can't possibly be you? That that guy who looks exactly like you and has the exact voice as you is definitely, absolutely not you?" Ozrock cackled, his brown eyes red with utter lunacy that paralyzed Natsuki's entire soul. "You're hilarious, Shinomiya-kun. First, you're a destroyer, and invader and an assaulter. Now you're being a full-on liar with not even a single shred of remor-"