I let out a sigh. Had I been that gullible I wondered.

'The easiest thing for us to do,' he continued, 'is check the papers and see if anything was reported.'

'But it was,' I cried, desperate to hang on to some grain of truth but another all knowing look from my friend sitting opposite brought my head back down. 'You think she lied about that as well, don't you?'

He beamed across a smile.

So what then was the truth?

'To be perfectly honest,' conceded Geoff, 'I would bet my reward that the only truth we will ever find is the clear and unequivocal fact that your friend Jenny Stamford planned all of this to hurt not only her own family but you and your wife in the bargain and that her ultimate goal has always been to get her daughter back.'

It made perfect sense and despite the many emotions of tenderness and love I still had for Max, I had to adjust to the fact that she had never felt a thing for me in return.

Our meal ended, I placed one of my cards on the table. It was the least I could do, pay for the meal even if it was for only a few dollars.

I then stole a moment to discuss Adam's thoughts about the man who had raped his sister.

Geoff was already up to speed on the origins of why this had all happened and although he sympathised deeply with her plight he would not allow any further feelings towards her. It was a possibility, granted. The man's death on the ski slopes may have been her very first act towards retribution and both Geoff and I may have to go right back to that very moment before we would ever get a true picture of what was happening.

'I shall run a check on all hotels and chalets to see if she was there and for good measure will see if our friend Mr Takiyoma junior was with her too.'

The waiter had not come to collect my card. Geoff leant over and picked it up. He turned it over slowly before finally putting it back down.

'How long have you been with HSBC?'

'Oh years,' I said nonchalantly, relieved to have lessened the tone of conversation. 'Cheryl had initially been with Lloyds but we changed to a joint account when we married and we have been with them ever since, why?'

He dropped a frown. He asked how many cards or accounts I had.

'Well I'm not as flush as you,' I said indignantly. 'Not enough to offer a four hundred dollar tip like you did at the border.'

'Expenses,' he said dismissively before picking the card up again. He handed it to me. 'It's in your name - I thought you only had a joint account.'

I took it. I saw nothing out of the ordinary until in the far left hand corner I saw a small emblem with the words Cayman Islands stamped underneath.

My eyes widened.

'But that's not mine!'

'It has your name on it.'

The waiter arrived to clear the table and Geoff paid with his own money. He pursed his lips.

'She's good I'll give her that,' he said once the waiter had gone. 'That would have taken some exceptional timing or,' he added looking intently at me, 'maybe too much timing? Is there something you're not telling me?'

I looked back stunned, his face suddenly hardening.

'Your sinking here Kirk and if you don't come up with the goods fast I'm out of here and you're on your own.'

But I couldn't. He rose to leave and then yes of course.

Another innocent act becomes an ulterior motive.

'My wallet,' I cried. 'My wallet. It was stolen in Singapore. We were at a fountain. I couldn't find it. Max said not to worry, that she would pay for everything and then someone handed it in.'

I pleaded for Geoff to believe me.

'I never needed to use it so I never open my wallet until now.'

Oh how clever.

I filled Geoff in about the escape from the hotel and how the next day I was asked to take some money out with my card to prove where I was.

He frowned.

'To prove you have all that money in the Caymen Islands more like,' he growled getting angrier by the minute.

He sat thinking hard about how serious this could be and then brushing aside the money for a moment he tried to look on the bright side.

'At least we can prove to Cheryl why the photos were taken,' he said upbeat. 'That, at least is a bonus.'

I didn't share his optimism only to be given a quick reality check for my pains.

'Look,' snapped Geoff agitated. 'We can't always have want we want Kirk. Most of us never even reach ten percent of our life's expectations and we just have to muddle through. You,' he said leaning forwards, 'have more than most. A devoted wife, three adoring children and until recently a damn good job and if you are not careful you are going to lose the lot.'

'If I haven't already.' I said dejectedly.

It wasn't what he wanted to hear. He sat back and huffed.

'Rubbish,' he said. 'Start again. Swallow your pride. Only this time base your marriage on trust. Go back to your lowly job as a junior Officer, not as punishment but because that's where you belong - as a father to your children and a husband to your wife and talk to Cheryl; admit to your yearnings for adventure, tell her about your past and accept that you were wrong.'

And he was right of course.

The first act of any redemption is to acknowledge your imperfections and although that would be hard, it was not impossible. If only Cheryl would let me reach out to her then I could tell all and take the consequences.

Our flight ready, I strolled out to towards the heliport feeling young again; off to an uncertain future but ready to do the best I could.

The rotor blades were already whirring, the noise deafening and as I glanced back towards the airport lounge I thought about where were going, a huge metropolitan city where anything was possible and where hopefully we would start to turn this whole mess around.

+   +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +

So ... they are on their way.

Will Cheryl forgive him?

Will Kirk find Danny?

How is this ever going to end?

Take care all.
JU

...