Chapter Fourteen

Thane couldn't believe his eyes. He stood in an empty field in the middle of Centre Forest. "You can't be serious," he scolded himself.

After receiving orders from Damian to retrieve the Realmsic Crystal, he'd spent the better part of the previous night following what he believed to be the tracks of King Maebus and Grand Wizard Kelm. Seeing the King catapulted from battle, Thane was positive they'd headed east, until he saw their footprints trailing off in the northern direction. By roughly following the King's trajectory through the air, he was led about a mile away from the castle to the spot where he believed Maebus landed.

Squatting, he'd traced the outer edges of the footprints. By analyzing the physical evidence of the environment, the entire scene of events unfolded before his eyes.

Thane detected what appeared to be a minor skirmish. He could tell by the depth of the foot impacts, along with traces of blood on the ground. As he stood, something in the distance caught his eye. Although several yards away, he recognized the bloodied, tattered uniforms and stiff contorted limbs of the soldiers sprawled face down upon the ground.

Stepping closer towards them, he rationalized that they were victims of the skirmish. Meandering along the perimeter, he identified hoof prints and a second set of animal prints that he assumed were made by Damian's panther. The spacing between each imprint signified that a chase ensued northward through the forest. Tracking their direction along with the damage made to the surrounding forestation, Thane had arrived in the empty field where he now stood—where the horse hooves led back into the woods. And the human tracks abruptly ended.

The General was furious. He prided himself on being an exceptional tracker. Growing up in the stark Lands of the East, he'd developed and perfected his survival skills. But what he now saw before him didn't make sense. How could Maebus and Kelm just vanish? Had he been duped? Had the King and Grand Wizard doubled back south? Thane assessed the land as critically as he could, searching for anything that seemed out of place. Yet, he could find nothing.

"I must have missed something," he said, pulling absently at his beard.

As he began his long walk back to the castle, he was intercepted by four riders on horseback. One soldier hopped from his saddle to give a Legionarie's salute.

"General, sir," the soldier began, "we've found something of significance."

Thane released the handle grip of his sword, which he had instinctively grabbed. "Speak," he ordered.

"Our men have discovered a large collection of footprints near the castle's east guard wall. They look to be heading southward into the Central Forest."

"How many sets of footprints did you see?"

"There were at least nine. Several of our men are already searching in that direction. However, we've yet to hear back from them. It's possible the prints were made by soldiers during the battle. But we wanted to be sure."

"Idiot, how could the prints have been made by men in battle, when there were no men in battle on the castle's east side? Our attack came from the west! Furthermore, how do you know it wasn't just staff fleeing from the castle?"

"You're right, sir, we don't know. That's why we came to get you."

Thane growled in response to the Legionarie's flippant attitude. Shoving the soldier out of his way, Thane mounted the man's horse. "I'll inspect the prints myself. Go and alert the Warlord that we may have Maebus' trail." He pointed at the remaining horsemen, "You three ... you're with me. As for you," he turned towards the snappy soldier whose horse he'd confiscated, "enjoy the walk back."