Chapter Fifty-Four

The Warlord was certainly pleased with himself. With the help of General Thane, he'd devised what he felt was a perfect military strategy for his campaign against the Uncharted Lands. For days, they had worked in secrecy, analyzing every detail and toiling over potential pitfalls. Even with the recent chaos and heightened security around the castle, they'd remained on task. At last, Damian felt that their plan was ready to be shared. Yet, understanding the magnitude of what he was proposing, he had to be careful regarding how much information he'd initially reveal.

A high-priority summons was sent to all twenty Legionarie Generals, calling for their mandatory audience with the Warlord. At the specified day and time, they'd arrive at the Great Hall. He was certain no one knew what to expect during their meeting. It was well known throughout the castle that he was extremely displeased over the recent escape of King Maebus. Undoubtedly, the officers had seen patrol soldiers walking around with bruises. And being the Legion's highest commanding officers—and ultimately the ones most responsible—they probably now feared they would endure far worse. Perhaps they even deserved far worse.

As ordered, the officers filled the Great Hall during the day of the meeting. The air was nearly sucked out of the room as the chamber doors blew open. All rose to their feet as Damian strode swiftly and confidently to the Council table. There, the throne that once belonged to Maebus awaited him. With General Thane standing by his side, Damian sat firmly and placed his hands on the armrests. Not one officer dared take their seat until Damian instructed them to do so.

The chamber, with its stone interior and high ceilings, remained eerily silent. Yet, Damian didn't immediately begin. His gaze picked out each individual, one at a time, seeming to peer imperiously into their souls. Several silent minutes passed before he felt content enough to speak.

"We are an army that doesn't revel in its past accomplishments," Damian began, "For we are a force that is ever moving forward. It doesn't matter that in our short existence, we've achieved what many believed to be impossible, for we can do it again ... and again we will."

Damian sat forward in his seat. "Look around yourselves. It isn't by coincidence that you're sitting here. Through sheer merit and ability, you have been placed among the highest soldiers of our Legion; the elite of the elite. And yet ... it was all of you who allowed the Realmsic King's escape!"

He glanced across the table again at each officer. Not a soul dared move, probably for fear of being singled out. In fact, the room had actually gotten quieter than it already was.

Unexpectedly, the Warlord rose to his feet and pointed. "All of you have failed me, and your punishment should be death. However, I'm not here to pass judgment upon you, nor did I summon you here for persecution, as I truly believe that you will never fail me in such a manner again."

Damian left the throne seat and walked towards the draped world map. He'd spent many nights in front of it, obsessing over it. With his back towards his congregation, he continued speaking.

"Before you all, upon this map, is the world as we know it ... the world as we think we know it. According to this map, our Realmsic world stretches from the mountains of the Northern Lands to the grasslands of the Hellish South Plains; from the barren desert Lands of the East, to the borders of the non-magical Western Nations. And in the epicenter of it all is the kingdom of Centre Pointe.

"But maps can be deceiving, for in reality, we live in a vast world where the Realm is but a speck surrounded by Uncharted Lands. It's true that our Legion is now in our most powerful position, and that we alone now control the known world. But it does not mean we control the whole world ... and that for me is problematic.

"Those of you familiar with Realmsic history will recall that during the establishment of this kingdom, it was arguably at its most powerful. As a result, the kingdom found itself in perpetual war, primarily against itself and against those hoping to seize its power. The conflict lasted two millennia, with Magicals and Laymen suffering alike. I dare not repeat history, which is why I've spent so much time seeking the Realmsic Crystal. Now that we have it, our position has been solidified, for there's no one in the known world that would challenge us. However, I cannot say for certain that we're safe.

"Who's to say what danger exists beyond our Realmsic borders? Who's to say that we ourselves wouldn't be targeted someday by some unforeseen threat? Although we are a Legion ever moving forward, we are also a Legion that dreams of peace. Yet, my greatest nightmare would be to finally obtain ultimate power, only to suffer the same endless fate as the Realmsic Kingdom. Therefore, I decree that until all falls under one rule—our rule—there can be no peace!"

Damian's voice reverberated through the chamber. Now was the time.

"It was with that notion that I sent a small, but effective, exploratory team into the Uncharted Lands."

A collective gasp filled the room, followed by a cacophony of chatter. Damian could only imagine what they were thinking: An exploratory team? To the Uncharted Lands? Was this real? Was he insane?

Damian held up a calming yet forceful hand. "Now, now. I'm sure many of you may think me mad, for I know of the rumors associated with the Uncharted Lands. They're as ingrained in our minds as Realmsic culture itself. But I assure you that in regards to the unknown world, I have no fear! General Thane has no fear! And you have already proven to be a Legion of Warriors that fights without fear!

"To those enemies that may reside beyond our border, we will identify them, and we will secretly infiltrate them. From within, we will weaken their defenses. As they crumble, we will send the totality of our forces and crush them! We will then take their resources, seize their weapons and conquer the next enemy, and then the next, and then the next! We will continue as such until all enemies within the Uncharted Lands have been destroyed! We will be the most..."

BAAAAAM!!!

The chamber doors blew open, interrupting the Warlord's rally. A surge of anger filled his mind as a young foot soldier ran toward the congregation. One piercing glance from Damian stopped the young man in his tracks. The Warlord, in typical fashion, swallowed his anger and smiled at the soldier.

"May I help you?"

The soldier struggled to catch his breath. "M-My apologies, great leader. I meant to intrude, I mean ... I meant no intrusion!"

"Yet here we are," Damian said with a forced smiled. "What is so urgent that you would interrupt a war meeting between myself and the Legion's highest officers?"

The soldier began trembling.

"Speak!" Damian demanded.

"M-My Lord, I'm so sorry. But a large army has been spotted several miles away, marching in our direction."

"Really?" General Thane snapped to attention.

Damian took a single step towards the young soldier. "Is that so?"

"Yes, my Lordship. We think they are coming to attack us."    

--------------------------------------------

HELLO READERS!!! PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT REALMSIC

And... Please-Please-Please take just a moment review it on either Amazon, or Goodreads. This would be HUGELY helpful and the links are below! Thank you so much!!! :)

Review on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1kE7re0

Review on Goodreads: http://bit.ly/HOLreviewbook

The links can be copied and pasted from the Table of Contents page.