Chapter Fifty-Five

Damian gave no reaction to the news of an approaching army. He knew it could only be one person.

Since Maebus' escape, he knew his return was inevitable. But he didn't think it would be so soon. The Warlord, admittedly, was caught by surprise.

"Soldier, how far away are the incoming troops?"

"They've already penetrated the boundaries of Centre Pointe. Our scouts have them less than two miles away."

"So be it," Damian said. With a pivot of his heels, he turned to face his Generals, all of whom—despite their gruff, hardened demeanors—were gazing anxiously at him. "We'll continue our conversation at a later date," he said almost jokingly. "Officers, take command of your units and ready your arms. Meet the enemy upon the field of battle and crush them once and for all!"

"Aye, sir!" they shouted in unison, immediately springing from their seats and leaping into action. Damian heard General Thane approach from behind.

"Where do you want me?"

"Did you not hear me?" Damian replied without turning around. "On the field of battle. Go!"

"Have mercy on the enemy who encounters me."

"I don't believe in mercy." Damian leaned against the Council table, listening as Thane stormed from the Great Hall.

• • • • •

Seku had just arrived at his tent within the main Legionarie encampment when he first received news of the attacking army. All around him, his comrades were frantic. He observed them yelling at one another, barking orders and insults. They clumsily grabbed weapons, while others could barely find all the pieces to their uniforms.

"Is this really happening?" Seku asked himself.

He'd never seen his comrades so disorganized, and he imagined this same frenzy was occurring throughout every one of Damian's encampments around Centre Pointe. With the recently increased security and patrols, he couldn't understand how the Legion allowed themselves to be caught by surprise.

Perhaps it was due to the initial target only being King Maebus and not the entire Realmsic Army? Or maybe it was due to the secret war meeting called between Damian and his Generals? Usually the soldiers were known to slack off when their Commanders weren't around. He figured the war meeting had proved more of a distraction than good...

Distraction! Seku's head jerked as a thought hit his mind.

With the Legion stumbling to arms, perhaps this was the perfect opportunity to make his move. But was this really it? Was he really going to leave? In his mind, he played back all of the events that led to this moment—the lies, the deceptions, the torture.

"Yes!" Seku decided. The time had come to flee. It was now or never.

"I need to get to Igthu," he told himself as he grabbed his belongings. Another thought occurred to him and he stopped. "I need to get to Reeze in the infirmary first, and then I'll get to Igthu," he said. Since their last conversation in the mess hall, Reeze was as committed to leaving as Seku was himself. They had created a bond, and he couldn't abandon him.

Stuffing his clothes and some rations into a carrying sack, Seku bounded from his tent, and ran through the encampment toward the Realmsic Castle. Juking and dodging his frantic comrades as they prepared for battle, Seku blended into the chaos perfectly. He headed down to the infirmary, located in the castle's lower level next to the dungeon area. Once there, it didn't take long to find Reeze, who stood guard outside its entrance.

The soldier seemed surprised to see him appear from around the corner.

"Reeze!" Seku began, still panting from his run.

The soldier held up a palm to halt him. "Don't bother, I know why you here."

"Oh really?"

"I can see the urgency in your eyes," Reeze crossed his arms across his thick chest.

"Okay then. Let's go now."

"You mean right now?"

"Of course right now!" Seku snapped. "The Realmsic Army is nearly here, and the troops are frantically preparing to engage. What better now is there?" He pointed his head in the direction of the stairs. "Come on, let's go!"

"Seku, I can't," Reeze said flatly.

The old soldier's eyes grew wide as he hovered in front of his comrade. "What do you mean, you can't? Seriously, don't play with me."

Reeze pumped up his chest as he spoke. "I'm not playin' with you. It's like I said, I can't leave just yet."

"I don't understand," Seku's neck heated with fury. "Have we not talked about this at length? Have I not declared that we'd need to move quickly? Did you not say you wanted to be a part of this!?!"

He grabbed the soldier by his uniform collar and slammed his back against the infirmary wall.

Reeze chuckled slightly as he reassuringly patted Seku on his arm. "No, no, I ain't backin' out," he replied, trying to calm Seku down.

"Then what is it?"

"It's just ... see, I mentioned before that there are others who feel the same as you and me, and when I told them about what we're plannin' to do, they—"

"You WHAT?" Seku shouted. "You told people about our plan?" He banged the soldier's back into the wall again, nearly knocking the wind from his chest. He then glanced from side to side, making sure they weren't overheard.

"Relaaaaax tough guy," Reeze chuckled while trying to catch his breath. "This is a good thing I did. Besides, you told people too! What about that kid you always talkin' 'bout?"

"You mean Igthu? Of course I told him! He's like my son!" Seku tried to control his rage and restrain his voice to a whisper.

Reeze pushed Seku's hands from off him. "Well, these other people are just like family to me, and I can't abandon them."

Seku was beyond incensed. "You're walking a thin line, soldier. How many people are we talking about?"

Reeze hesitated.

"How many!" Seku screamed

"Only a couple, I swear!"

"Fine! Get your people and meet me on top of that hill on the east side of the castle. You've got thirty minutes. If you're not there by the time I arrive, I swear to you, you're on your own! Do you get me?"

"I get you," Reeze replied.

"No! Do you get me?" Seku pressed his long, narrow finger into the soldier's chest armor.

"Yes sir, I get you!" Reeze darted from the infirmary to begin his task.

Standing alone, Seku leaned against the wall and cupped his face in both his palms.

"What am I getting myself into?"

The answer would have to wait, for he needed to locate Igthu, who was probably doing evening patrols in the dungeon. A soldier's duty was his duty, injured or not. Seku pulled himself together and then headed off.     

--------------------------------------------

HELLO READERS!!! PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT REALMSIC

And... Please-Please-Please take just a moment review it on either Amazon, or Goodreads. This would be HUGELY helpful and the links are below! Thank you so much!!! :)

Review on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1kE7re0

Review on Goodreads: http://bit.ly/HOLreviewbook

The links can be copied and pasted from the Table of Contents page.