Chapter Twenty-Seven

The chase still felt like a dream when Kelm awoke the next morning. The air was frigid in the mountainous woods, and the ground had been most uncomfortable. Kelm massaged the crick in his neck as awareness slowly came to him. He glanced at Maebus and saw that he too had just awoken and was now rubbing the last remnants of sleep from his eyes. Across from them, the tall man had already prepared a breakfast consisting of berries and wild game he'd caught nearby.

"Morning," Kelm said to the man.

"Morning," he replied. His voice was less harsh and deep than the previous night.

Kelm was awestruck by his height. He was perhaps the tallest person he'd ever seen. A large laceration stretched across his face. Sitting awkwardly on a rock, he tended a small fire where he cooked the meat. The sensuous aroma of food seemed to snap Maebus to alertness. He stretched his legs forward and began massaging feeling back into them.

"How're you feeling today?" Kelm asked his friend.

"I've been better," Maebus replied.

Kelm gave a sideways smirk. "I ... suppose I should apologize for pushing you out of the window."

"No need. I'm sure you did what you felt was best." Maebus withheld a chuckle as he spoke.

"You should probably thank me then."

"Actually, I should thank you," Maebus said, directing his attention to the tall man at the fire.

"I only did my duty for the kingdom," he shrugged.

"Oh, are you a Realmsic soldier?" Maebus asked.

"No, but I remain faithful to its King."

Kelm's gaze fixed on the man. Was that just a general comment? He then glanced towards Maebus who didn't appear to have a reaction.

"I'm sure the King would be honored to have your loyalty," Maebus said. He paced his words, obviously taking care not to give away too much.

"I'm glad you think so. If you were the King it would mean a lot." The man flashed a mischievous smile and winked.

Kelm laughed out loud. Maebus couldn't help but join him. "What's your name?"

"My name is Normandy." He bowed his head slightly. "As you slept, I noticed your royal Realmsic armor under your muddy robes."

Maebus shook his hand. "Greetings. I suppose you already know my name is—"

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Normandy interrupted before Maebus could finish. He stood up, thin and towering, and shook Kelm's hand also.

"Please, help yourselves," he pointed to the food. "There's more than enough to go around."

Kelm was impressed with the quantity, knowing personally just how hard it was to hunt in the northern region of the Realm.

"Are you from around here?" Kelm asked.

"Not originally, but lately I've meandered in these parts."

That explains his cordiality. Most Northerners despised the kingdom and would have never helped them escape.

Normandy reached over the fire and tore off a piece of meat from the spit.

"For years, I've been a simple woodsman," he said between chews. "But nowadays, I consider myself a bit of a rebel."

"How so?" Maebus asked. He reached over and grabbed a piece of meat, the first he'd eaten in weeks.