Chapter Ten

Over the castle's towers, Maebus plummeted to Earth. His stomach nearly retreated into his chest from the momentum of his free fall. First appearing as specks on the ground, Kelm and Khroy stood stiffly within the Centre Forest below. The Wizard clutched the second extractor, whose beam seemed to be pulling him in. As the forest rushed forward, Maebus closed his eyes against the onslaught to his equilibrium until finally his feet touched the ground. Immediately, he rolled upon his back, taking deep slow breaths to quell his nausea. When he could comfortably open his eyes, he sat up and scanned the surroundings. Within seconds, he appeared to have hurtled through the sky at least a mile from the battle.

"Maebus!" Kelm bellowed running towards him. "Did you see him? Did you see the Warlord?" The Wizard's features were pinched with anxiety.

Maebus placed the extractor back into his pocket. "Only from a distance," he replied, extending a hand to Kelm. With a heavy groan, the Wizard pulled him to his feet.

"Damian's men won't be far behind us. We'll need to hurry if we're to make it to the passageway," Kelm said.

"They're already en route. From the air, I saw them take off."

"Then we should take off," Khroy stated, pulling the reins of three new horses he had brought from the castle stables.

Kelm handed Maebus a long robe, similar to those he and Khroy were wearing. "We'll need to travel inconspicuously. Put this on over your armor for now," he instructed.

Maebus removed his helmet and quickly slipped on the baggy apparel.

"Good," Kelm said, inspecting the outfit. "We should be able to pass as simple travelers now."

Khroy gave the reins of two chestnut mares to him and Kelm. Maebus' steed was nearly twice the size of Nightly, with long, powerful muscles and fiery eyes. Her sides heaved with deep breaths.

He swore his horse growled as he tried to greet it. "And these are from the castle?" Maebus' was slightly concerned.

"These are the fastest horses in the kingdom," the Commander replied. "They've been magically enhanced."

"Being that we're here now, I take it things have gone according to plan?"

"Indeed. The Council has fled south. I gave them what you asked of me," Khroy responded.

"And the Realmsic Crystal, did you secure it?" Maebus' stomach clenched as he awaited Kelm's answer.

"I did!" he replied, proudly patting his chest. "So far, your plan is working. All have been successfully extracted and, once we arrive at the passageway, I'll signal for the remaining army to disperse."

"How greatly we underestimated this enemy," Maebus shook his head. "Even with all of our preparation, a strategic retreat was ultimately our only viable option."

Neither Khroy nor Kelm responded. Silently, they mounted their horses. The chestnut mare whined at the sound of faint rustling in the bushes behind them.

"What was that?" Kelm asked scanning the tree line.

"Trouble," Khroy instantly stated.

A silver panther leapt towards them like a vicious monster. Withdrawing his weapon, Khroy jumped from his horse. Instinctively, he swiped at the creature with his sword. Maebus and Kelm tried to regain control of their startled horses. The panther dodged Khroy's blow, scattering dirt into the air as it slid to a stop. The panther's solid yellow eyes trained upon Khroy. Its razor claws dug into the ground. A thunderous growl rumbled from its muscular throat as it assumed an attack stance with its back arched, baring its sharp teeth.